Search results

1. Etoimos

Three Generations in Death Valley.

I've actually blocked off two sets of dates at work, one in June and one in July. Not sure yet which one I'll do... maybe both. One with the little guy and my dad and one with the little guy and the wife. Right now I'm looking for routes in the ID/WY/MT/SD region. The ROFs do some...
  2. Etoimos

My goal is for us to do one of these trips every year. DV was a pretty easy one to plan as once you are in the park, it's easy to stay on dirt and away from most people. I'm having a harder time this year coming up with a destination area and route.
  3. Etoimos

Thanks Morris. That whole trip came about because my father (who lives and AR and we don't see very often) had told me in the summer of 2017 that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. So in the case of this overland trip, the journey really was the principle goal.
  4. Etoimos

Southwest Colorado trip, Medano Pass to the Alpine loop

The images are not showing up for me.
  5. Etoimos

Day 8 - 31Mar18 Race Track / Teakettle Junction / Ubehebe Crater Trip Time: 6:02 (0937-1539) Miles: 96 Average Speed: 16mph Due to the down time spent in Bishop fixing the Jeep, it was decided that we could extend the trip an extra day to explore the last three locations on our itinerary: The...
  6. Etoimos

Day 7 - 30Mar18 Zabriskie Point / Devil's Golf Course / Badwater Basin / Artist Drive / Salt Creek Trip Time: 9:06 (1034-1940) Miles: 233 Average Speed: 25mph This was going to be our "tourist" day. All of the points of interests we were going to stopping at were right off the main roads and...
  7. Etoimos

Day 6 - 29Mar18 Skidoo Mines / Furnace Creek / Echo Canyon Trip Time: 7:47 (0959-1747) Miles: 176 Average Speed: 22mph Knowing my dad would enjoy the old mining sites, I make it a point on this trip to explore the Skidoo mining area. It is remote and has many small and several large old...
  8. Etoimos

Day 5 - 28Mar18 Bishop, CA / Pinion Mesa Trip Time: 5:56 (1032-1629) Miles: 140 Average Speed: 23mph After restocking on some food supplies and gassing up, we made the trip back into the park. Since we had lost a couple of days in Bishop, I decided to alter my planned route and stick to the...
  9. Etoimos

Day 3/4 - 26Mar18 - 27Mar18 Saline Valley / Big Pine, CA / Bishop, CA Trip Time: 6:39 (0801-1441) Miles: 92 Average Speed: 14mph The next morning we were all business. We tore down camp and I aired the front tires way up (and brought the rears and trailer tires up some to equal it out a bit...
  10. Etoimos

The rest of the trail was a mix of hard pack and gravel. One other spot worth mentioning on this trail was a narrow section of road between a switch back. It had eroded some the width of my Jeep was pushing it. My dad and son got out to watch and dad said my passenger side tires were right on...
  11. Etoimos

Day 2 - 25Mar18 Eureka Dunes / Steele Pass / Saline Warm Springs / Mechanical issue Trip Time: 6:30 (1108-1532) Miles: 46 Average Speed: 4mph In my initial plans Day 2 was supposed to be the longest day on the move inside the park, but I initially made some alternative stopping points because...
  12. Etoimos

From the turn off for Scotty's Castle, Death Valley Rd becomes a mix of mild washboard and smooth dirt and packed gravel. That part of the road is very wide and that late in the afternoon there was no one traveling it but us, we were able to make some good time in this section. Once we hit the...
  13. Etoimos

This trip report was originally posted on Overland Bound and Expedition Portal. I'm sharing it now with my fellow Colorado overlanders. This was my first overlanding trip and so my first trip report. Hopefully I cover everything in just the right amount of detail. If you have any questions...