Search results

1. Jim

Kiowa Grasslands, Mills Canyon Campground

Morris Glad you visited the place, it is interesting. Definitely a spring or fall destination due to the heat. Need to pay attention to the rain as well. We've been having quite a year for precip here with a lot of locally heavy downpours. Jim
  2. Jim

Beginner here - help appreciated

Jared I cannot help with specifics in your area but here are some resources that should help in general: --Book: Guide To Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails by Charles Wells & Matt Peterson --Book: Colorado Trails Central Region by Peter Massey (I recall that Massey drove a Suburban?)...
  3. Jim

Southwest Colorado trip, Medano Pass to the Alpine loop

That deep spot was not there on May19. Maybe the beavers have been busy. Nice write-up....thanks. I took note of the lack of crowds in your photos. That was a surprise.
  4. Jim

Man Rassles Carburetor

I enjoy most of Fred Reed's essays. I like this one a lot. Maybe because it reminds me of me when working on mechanical stuff. DATE: 03/29/18 AUTHOR: Fred Reed LINK: https://fredoneverything.org/in-which-embattled-manhood-rassles-a-carburetor-and-is-discomfited-2/ Embattled Manhood Rassles...
  5. Jim

The Jeep We Can Buy But Can’t Drive

DATE: 03/30/18 SOURCE: Eric Peters Autos LINK: https://www.ericpetersautos.com/2018/03/30/the-jeep-we-can-buy-but-cant-drive/ Use the link to read entire article. [begin excerpt] I’ve written before about low-cost, simple vehicles the car companies aren’t allowed to sell here because they...
  6. Jim

Mills Canyon is about an hour from here. NOTE: Springer NM is on the route to Mills. We stopped there for fuel and the local cops were pulling people over right and left. Got the impression the town is a speed trap. Thought of another option in this area. Cimarron Canyon State Park has 3...
  7. Jim

Never been to a M&G. I was in Canon City CO but recently moved to Raton NM.
  8. Jim

Morris If you go to Mills Canyon. Let me know. As it stands we have a conflict during that period but it may fall thru. Jim
  9. Jim

How not to set up your rig

Before "hack" it was "jerry rigged" or shortened to "rigger". I do carry a roll of rebar tie wire and 90 mile an hour tape for when stuff falls off. I do not use those thing for initial install. I'm not quite as bad as Red Green.
  10. Jim

Took and afternoon recon trip to the Kiowa National Grasslands southeast of Springer NM. Destination was Mills Canyon, a.k.a. the Canadian River Canyon. https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/regions/southwestern/MillsCanyon/index.shtml https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/kiowa-national-grassland...
  11. Jim

Feb trip suggestions 23 to 26

If I was still in Canon City, I'd meet you there.
  12. Jim

If you make it up to Victor and are hungry, I recommend the Gold Camp Bakery and Deli. Deli sandwiches made to order, Cornish pasties and some outstanding baked goods. The Florissant Fossil Beds is not far north of Victor. Well worth a look if paleontology interests you.
  13. Jim

Morris Until recently, my brother lived north of Westcliffe. To me the Wet Mountain Valley is one of the most scenic spots in the state. But is does get cold. One of the camping websites states the Bank CG is 6,900 ft. The road leading into the camp is a little rough but I have seen RV...
  14. Jim

Morris I do not recall your location, so this may not meet the "not too far" requirement. It will probably meet the "not too cold". Canon City CO is called the "Banana Belt of CO" for good reason. This time of year expect highs in the low 50s. A few miles north of town on what turns into...
  15. Jim

Winter gear from Overland Mag.

Just a matter of time until that is a reality.
  16. Jim

The camping set-up is adequate and comfortable enough for most situations. Of course, we are fair weather campers so far as weather predictions turn out to be accurate. That is a Donaldson cyclonic pre-cleaner on the snorkel intake. The plastic has yellowed but I can see insects, leaves and...
  17. Jim

This was not at KOA but is how we camp at this time. Not knocking the big motor homes but I would not want to drive one of them.
  18. Jim

I believe it was the SW corner. There were trees and a high bluff just to the south and off the KOA property.
  19. Jim

Last year we went to the Solid Axle Summit. Stayed at the KOA in Ouray. We sleep in the back of the FJ60 which Mary fitted with privacy curtains. Our awning is a canvas tarp tied to the roof rack. We use Coleman folding camp stools and cook on a Coleman stove. Right across the lane from us...
  20. Jim

Being a pack rat, I struggle when it comes to loading down the vehicle with stuff I might need or just want. I keep reminding myself of a couple of things said by Antoine De Saint-Exupery: “A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is...