What's new

2008 Land Rover V8 HSE - OVERLAND - PLEASE HELP!

Giffybottom

Good day,

My name is Zachary and I have recently purchased a 2008 Land Rover LR3 V8 HSE 7 passenger model. She has 150,000 miles and has a fantastic car fax. Meaning the last few owners really took care of her.

This thread is for any and all tips regarding the transformation of my vehicle into an overlanding rig fit for the equipment I would like to have with me listed below. This includes all modifications from completely stock. I want to make it clear that I do not make crazy money, but this vehicle will be a work in progress for many years.

Roof mounted tent. Preferably one that comfortably fits two. I do not like the clam style tents.

Second battery. What battery should I use. Where should I mount it! How to do even set up a second battery.

I would eventually like to be able to produce my own energy using solar panels.

This one is quite a difficult one to fathom. I would like to set up the cargo area for all my storage needs. This includes a refrigerator, cooking items, and general tools. The catch is I would like the storage to be removable. It doesnt have to be an easy method, but easy enough. I would like to be able to use the third row seating when I need it. Also, keep in mind I don't foresee having to remove the storage often. This one I am assuming I will just have to fabricate everything on my own. The main question I have regarding this topic is what connectors are the most efficient for little to no voltage drop.

This is all for now. Please go easy on me and use as little slang as possible. Provide links to products you recommend and pictures always help too. Thank you all so much.

Attachments

Morris Yarnell

I have a 2007 LR HSE and several of us in the RMO have LRs and we would be glad to share ideas and info with you. Come to a meeting and we can compare LR vehicles and exchange ideas for fixing yours up.
There is too much info out there for me to really give you all the stuff at once but I am sure some one will be glad to tell you how and give you insight on your vehicle,
although the first thing I would recommend is to get the proper tires for off roading, there are several schools of thought on that.

Giffybottom

I have a 2007 LR HSE and several of us in the RMO have LRs and we would be glad to share ideas and info with you. Come to a meeting and we can compare LR vehicles and exchange ideas for fixing yours up.
There is too much info out there for me to really give you all the stuff at once but I am sure some one will be glad to tell you how and give you insight on your vehicle,
although the first thing I would recommend is to get the proper tires for off roading, there are several schools of thought on that.
I really hope one day I can attend a meeting. I dont live in the area. Thank you for the tip on tires. Please let me know if there are any specific tires that fit well, provide the performance needed, and are for the most part cost efficient.

On a second note, should I also be looking to install stronger wheels as well?

Thanks again for your help.

Morris Yarnell

I do think that the wheels you have stock on the LR will be fine for most of your use. If you intend going off road much the tires you do eventually get should be LT type with a strong sidewall so that you can air down for a softer ride on CO trails. You may want to get a size wheel that has more choices, for instance 18 inch vs 19 that may now be on there.

I have, on my LR, steel rims to replace the stock mag type wheels in 18 inch size and I run DuraTrack tires now. I have heard that the KO2 is also a quality tire for the LR.

I have also added a few Front Runner teams to increase my storage, a FR roof rack and a FR drawer system. Since you have indicated that you want to use, occasionally, the third row the drawers may not be a good idea for you as they are heavy and not easily removed once in. There are storage boxes that will do the same thing and are much easier to handle and will keep your camping items contained and easily available for excursions. Some really good finds can be obtained at Costco or even The Container Store for little cost.

You may want to look for a group in your area that has a few LR owners so that you can make comparisons.

Where are you?

Giffybottom

I do think that the wheels you have stock on the LR will be fine for most of your use. If you intend going off road much the tires you do eventually get should be LT type with a strong sidewall so that you can air down for a softer ride on CO trails. You may want to get a size wheel that has more choices, for instance 18 inch vs 19 that may now be on there.

I have, on my LR, steel rims to replace the stock mag type wheels in 18 inch size and I run DuraTrack tires now. I have heard that the KO2 is also a quality tire for the LR.

I have also added a few Front Runner teams to increase my storage, a FR roof rack and a FR drawer system. Since you have indicated that you want to use, occasionally, the third row the drawers may not be a good idea for you as they are heavy and not easily removed once in. There are storage boxes that will do the same thing and are much easier to handle and will keep your camping items contained and easily available for excursions. Some really good finds can be obtained at Costco or even The Container Store for little cost.

You may want to look for a group in your area that has a few LR owners so that you can make comparisons.

Where are you?
I am located in Los Angeles. Thank you for your input. I will take what you have mentioned into consideration.

Morris Yarnell

You truly are far away from Denver. When I lived in San Diego there was a group that I was part of that made trail riding fun and it was not a requirement that a formal meeting be attended. You may be able to join in the fun there as they do occasionally travel to places close to you. You have the advantage of a more enjoyable clime and can partake of off road adventured more often in the year.

The group is called 'Just Runs' and can be found on the internet. You and your vehicle, in my estimation, would be a valuable asset to their ranks.
This might be an arena that you would fit.

Happy trails,
Morris

Giffybottom

You truly are far away from Denver. When I lived in San Diego there was a group that I was part of that made trail riding fun and it was not a requirement that a formal meeting be attended. You may be able to join in the fun there as they do occasionally travel to places close to you. You have the advantage of a more enjoyable clime and can partake of off road adventured more often in the year.

The group is called 'Just Runs' and can be found on the internet. You and your vehicle, in my estimation, would be a valuable asset to their ranks.
This might be an arena that you would fit.

Happy trails,
Morris
Great! Thank you for the information. I will definitely look into that group. I hope you'll still have me on this site. So far I really enjoy the feedback.