What's new

Aftermarket bumper: why or why not?

ExplorerTom

I'd like hear why you have an aftermarket bumper on your rig or why you don't have an aftermarket bumper on your rig?

On my Explorer, it all came down to adding recovery points and protection while on the trail. The winch integration is separate since the winch is connected straight to the frame.

Lately though, I've been considering a front bumper on my Expedition, which is mostly a daily driver and road trip vehicle. My reasoning is for pure protection- deer strikes mostly. But the minor fenderbender would be nice as well. A deer strike in rural Missouri would bring a road trip to a screeching halt and the "recovery" might just cost as much as the bumper in the first place.

Wyatt

On my current Jeep I run front and rear bumpers, the front was to find a winch and tow points, protection was also key so I went with a full size because I have lots of friends and family that live in the mountains and often find myself driving after dark on dirt roads and would hate to have the Jeep totaled by a deer when a bumper might have a chance at saving it. Rear bumper was to clear out space, with the new spare tire not fitting in the stock location and not wanting in inside I opted for a tire carrier that also houses the hilift jack and rear back up light. Soon it will hold A Jerry can and a shovel. Its adds tow points and still has a hitch. It also created protection for the gas tank and the vehicle against texting drivers and the idiots that go to my school. They do add a lot of weight but I am willing to take the milage loss and slight added stress to have the protection and use of them.

Odomandr

I struggled with this for the longest time. I've done a lot of trails without an aftermarket bumper or winch. I've only needed a hand once from someone with a winch and the factory hook did just fine. That being said I recently bought an ARB used got it recoated and will be putting it on soon. After a lot of consideration, the two most important things to consider were safety (airbag) and a winch. Only ARB has the airbag retention cert I wanted. Most other options were twice as expensive and all had the winch option. When I stumbled across the ARB used for cheap I went for it. My drives home cutting through Missouri, Arkansas and Mississippi will be more at ease as they are designed for animal impact protection more so than looks. I will hang light from it eventually. I may need to upgrade the springs to handle the weight we shall see

Wyatt

Having a rear bumper really helped in this situation. Cut down a lot on stuff I need to fix.

nuclearlemon

don't suppose you noticed if he had elocked axles and if he was going to scrap it ;)

Having a rear bumper really helped in this situation. Cut down a lot on stuff I need to fix.
for me, front was i hate the look of the 80s. i grew up on boxy vehicles so i'm not a fan of these modern rounded out things. also, winch ability and protection (i've hit deer twice, both times i had bumpers and no damage). the rear was because it was free (ish...i had to source bearings, tire mount bracket, and latch because the guy who built it lost them). would've ended up doing a rear eventually anyways because of the oversized tire issue, but wish this one was set up better for jerry cans, shovel , etc.

that said, i can't believe how incredibly stupid expensive bumpers are. if you've got the talent and time, build your own.

Wyatt

don't suppose you noticed if he had elocked axles and if he was going to scrap it ;)

for me, front was i hate the look of the 80s. i grew up on boxy vehicles so i'm not a fan of these modern rounded out things. also, winch ability and protection (i've hit deer twice, both times i had bumpers and no damage). the rear was because it was free (ish...i had to source bearings, tire mount bracket, and latch because the guy who built it lost them). would've ended up doing a rear eventually anyways because of the oversized tire issue, but wish this one was set up better for jerry cans, shovel , etc.

that said, i can't believe how incredibly stupid expensive bumpers are. if you've got the talent and time, build your own.
Unfortunately I did not see that or know what will happen to the 80. But instead of buying a replacement carrier I am attempting to make it and maybe eventually make an entire bumper for another vehicle.

CARiD

Off-road bumper certainly has a lot of benefits like additional protection, winch mount and shackles. Some of the them are too heavy though, so you have to keep an eye on the balance of the front suspension and some models are too bulky which doesn't always look good on a vehicle. The styles change today and you can find lowprofile steel bumpers that are sometimes even smaller than the stock plastic bumpers. Some of them turn out to be so small because they don't have a winch mount and mainly used for protection and better tire clearance, which is certainly a big disadvantage. I don't need a bumper with bars and stingers, so for me the main parameters of the off-road bumper are: mild steel, low weight and modest look that fits in the overall design of the rig. There's also a pretty informative article about the off-road bumpers here: Durability, Versatility, Safety | The Benefits of an Off-Road Rear Bumper

Last edited:

OverLander

installing a Jeep bumper is beneficial not only for daily driving as well as for off-roading.

But I also agree with what mentioned in the article:
Should I add an aftermarket bumper? It’s your truck. If you don’t plan to winch stuff, hit stuff, pull stuff, or lift stuff with your front bumper, and you don’t particularly like the look of them. Go without.

Morris Yarnell

I thought about a tube bumper that could be used as a compressed air supply but decided to get the ARB for front and Tactical4X for rear and I feel comfortable with the choice.

REDONE

I thought about a tube bumper that could be used as a compressed air supply but decided to get the ARB for front and Tactical4X for rear and I feel comfortable with the choice.
I put a farm truck tank bumper on a W200 years ago and it was a dumb choice. The bumper was so stout that when I hit a deer going 40mph on Douglas Pass it bent the frame and turned the truck into a bird-dog instead of the bending the bumper.:(