What's new

Anyone use a marine or RV battery?

DaVikes

I'm realizing that my OE battery is 5 now, and doesn't have much life left. I want an extra set of terminals on the next battery. So far I've learned:

- Optima batteries seem to have a design useful for rugged use, but their quality seems suspect. There are quite a few posts about premature failure, and they are expensive.
- "RV Batteries" are true deep cycle batteries, with lower cca available for starting.
- "Marine Batteries" seem to be a balance between a true deep cycle battery and a starting battery.​

Other than Optima, the only batteries I've seen with the extra terminals are marine or rv batteries. Has anyone else gone this route? Pro's and Con's? What did you get? What did it cost? Thanks

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure on total cost but Mike and I just installed a optima marine and a red top in his D2. Red top was very expensive locally.

I am planning on 2 regular batteries in my 95 as I want as many amps as possible for winch use but also want plenty of power for my accessories. Have a basic dual setup with a red top as secondary and a standard for starting in my 98 and it works really well.

DaVikes

I thought about dual batteries, but 2 batteries are a tough fit in the Tacoma. So I'm going the new quality battery route, with a microstarter as a backup. For what it's worth, Amazon will ship Optima batteries via the Prime program. The Optima Blue (marine) in a group 27 size is $193, delivered in 3-5 days.

Brandon

I posted this link on here in some other battery thread, guessing you may have stumbled upon it before but if not, here it is. Plenty of people going with the DieHard Platinum Marine Group 31 battery without issues for years.

When I need more power, I'll be doing that hands down as opposed to messing with two batteries, extra wiring, controllers, etc.

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
Diehard's are Odyssey batteries rebranded and tend to be cheaper. Odyssey seems to make a better battery then Optima with less failures and I have been running them for the last 6 years or so without problem. You want a good deep cycle battery to handle heavy discharges but it needs to have high enough CCA to start the truck. Most marine batteries should fit the bill but a lot of RV batteries don't have the CCA since they are usually relegated to being a house battery.

Odomandr

I have had a red top Optima in my truck for 2 years. I plan to add another when I get a fridge. I have heard good things about the diehard.

Sent from my SM-N910T

DaVikes

Brandon, thanks for that info on the Diehard group 31 battery. I didn't know a group 31 would fit. It has pretty awesome specs. I guess they go on sale occasionally, but right now it's $310 plus tax, or about $335. Exide has a similar battery, with lesser, but still pretty good specs.
Exide XMC-31 ////// Diehard Plat. Marine 31 ////// Optima Blue Top 31 ////// Northstar NSB-AGM31M ////// Ige's Fleetrite FLBT31925S

CCA @ 0 degrees ////// 925 ////// 1150 ////// 900 ////// 1150 ////// 925
CCA @ 32 degrees ////// 1110 ///// N/A ////// 1125 ////// 1370 ////// 1050
Reserve ////// 200 Min @25A ////// 205 Min @25A ////// 155 Min @25A ////// 220 Min @25A ////// 180 Min @25A
Weight ////// 78.2 (shipping) ////// 75 lbs ////// 59.8 lbs ////// 74lbs ////// 55lbs
Cost ////// $250 - $20 rebate (Amzn Prime) ////// $335 (Sears) ////// $219 (Amzn Prime) ////// $380 online ////// $80
Warranty ////// 2yr replacement ////// 3 yr replacement ////// 2 yr replacement ////// 3yr full ////// 1yr

For the price, the Fleetrite is a a very good value, but it has only two terminals, rather than two posts and two terminals, like the marine battery. More to overthink.

The Diehard PM31 is the same as the Odyssey 31M-PC2150ST-M is the same as Batteries Plus x2
List of Battery Mfgrs and Brands http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm#E
Optima batteries are manufactured by Johnson Controls
Odyssey batteries are made by Enersys, or maybe Enersys owns Odyssey.
Exide batteries are made by Exide.
Northstar batteries are made by Northstar. Supposedly started by people who left Optima.
Johnson Controls, Exide and Enersys each own a huge number of battery brands.
Fleetrite batteries are made by Exide.

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

truck stores have group 31 batteries for less than $80. you can buy a lot of those for one diehard 31. our fleetrites (rebranded exides) are 69.95 exchange

Morris Yarnell

There seems to be a bit of controversy about dual batteries. For the type of trips most seem to be taking, two to four days, it probably does not make sense especially of there is a conflict with space under the hood. I would always choose to go with a glass mat battery as they will not spill no matter which way is up.
I just got a lesson in how far my batteries will take my vehicle when the charging system went out. I drove from Georgetown to Denver on just the batteries running the vehicle and only lost about 1.6 volts discharge. I guess the military designers felt that a 24V system was more stable than 12 and that's why they use it. Glad they did.
Even if I were running just a 12V system I would have a second battery though.

jr7ski

truck stores have group 31 batteries for less than $80. you can buy a lot of those for one diehard 31. our fleetrites (rebranded exides) are 69.95 exchange
Which truck store? These are AGM batteries? My stock battery has seen better days and that is a good price.

DaVikes

Ige, what are the specs on the $70 battery? CCA and reserve? And it's a conventional wet battery, right? I'm trying to get as much power as possible into the existing space without going to a dual battery setup. The group 31 size is as big a single battery as will fit in a Tacoma, without mods. If I went to a dual battery setup, usually people are putting in two group 34's (34 is smaller than 31). But two non agm group 34's have basically about the same power available as an agm group 31, and the total system cost is a lot more, even if each battery is cheaper. (Of course, I could put in two AGM group 34's. But I don't want a $1k battery system.)

nuclearlemon

they are lead acid batteries. i've done the agm too many times and been disappointed most of the time. that said, i do run them in the 80 because i wheel it at speed often, but none of my other rigs will ever have agms until they're a better value.

i have a friend who routinely does multi day trips with his arb fridge on a single group 31 and he's never had an issue. i have dual 34s with the national luna setup and am hating life, but i think that is more the nat luna setup than anything.

specs on our battery go to page 4, it's the fltbt31925s http://www.navistarpartsandservice.com/downloads/pdf/fleetrite/ProductGuide_Electrical.pdf

DaVikes

That Fleetrite battery specs out really well, especially for $70. I added it to the comparison. It's not an AGM battery, but there are definitely pros and cons to each type. The battery is also designed with two terminals for the truck market. It doesn't have typical battery posts, so my truck's battery cables would have to be converted to ring terminals.

overlandjeep

I run an AGM as house battery and a lead acid as cranking battery one of main reasons is my house battery is inside the cab