What's new

Backcountry Comms Class 2016

Max

Thanks for putting this on, guys. I got some good information and I'm excited to get my radio working.

Jeff

Great class. Actually ran into some people from the class offroading yesterday/ night up Yankee Hill, too fun. Wondering if you can post the information on the upcoming prep class this coming weekend for the test in a couple weeks? Very interested in getting my HAM license cause i do a lot of 4x4ing alone.
Thyanks again,
jeff

Jeff

Had a question about buying a baofeng to do aprs and what it will need to work with a future truck unit. Not sure if this is the place to ask or if another post should be started?
Wondering what models and functionality to look for. Also what accessories to get?
I liked the idea of the hand held and the truck unit being used together. Looking to buy the hand held first and then the truck unit. Thanks again

Odomandr

Had a question about buying a baofeng to do aprs and what it will need to work with a future truck unit. Not sure if this is the place to ask or if another post should be started?
Wondering what models and functionality to look for. Also what accessories to get?
I liked the idea of the hand held and the truck unit being used together. Looking to buy the hand held first and then the truck unit. Thanks again
You will need an android tablet or old phone and a mobilinkd tnc to run aprs with a baofeng

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Jeff

Is there another hand held that fits all this criteria with out buying a bunch of ad dons. Maybe a more expensive hand held radio or is the latter the direction to go?

REDONE

I enjoyed the seminar. I went to HRO on iliff right afterwards and have been studying on hamstudy.org. More importantly I signed up here, plan to be at the meet n' greet tomorrow, ordered a UV-5R and will be getting my ham license. The thing that really got my interest the most was APRS. I didn't know it was a thing until a week ago. Thanks for putting this on!

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
I have yet to get a aprs radio. Want the Kenwood just hasn't been high on the list.

RokGoblin

Can you please post up the PPT (or whichever) slideshow so I can recap the bullet points.

Also one person mentioned a free in depth class coming up this weekend or next. I am interested.

Dotcom

Is there another hand held that fits all this criteria with out buying a bunch of ad dons. Maybe a more expensive hand held radio or is the latter the direction to go?
I use the yaesu ft1dr handheld for trail cons and aprs. You can get them for @ 300.00

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
Ross, who owned the event center and a member here, sold his business last month. I'm up for teaching it again but we don't have a place to host us.

REDONE

Hey guys, I think you're "registering" for last years class, since Ben's post immediately before explains a lack of venue to do another.