What's new

Camping for 10/12 to 10/17

Morris Yarnell

Looking for good spot in CO for a bit of light trail and camping. D is off traveling to see her friends in Seattle and rather than sit home I have the urge to get out for a bit. Was thinking Comb Ridge but that is a bit far, although I still want to see it.

ExplorerTom

Go over Medano Pass into the Dunes if you go that way. It might be peak aspen turning down there at that time too.

If you camp on the Pass, the east side is not in the National Park so you can camp anywhere. On the west side side, you have to camp in designated spots that have bear boxes. First come, first serve on those spots- but based on the time of year, you'll probably have the mountain more or less to yourselves.

Morris Yarnell

I do have the senior National Park pass, good for a lifetime and grants me almost free access to NP facilities.
The idea that there may not be a flock of campers is a great bit of news. Thanks for the info.

Morris Yarnell

Sides for the OZ tent arrived. Going to try them out tomorrow at the Ranch property near Westcliffe. Hope the rain holds off till I get the tent set up.

Brandon

Any idea of plans yet? I'll Probably have some goof off time over the next few weeks, no set plans yet.

Morris Yarnell

Still thinking of the dunes Nat. Park area to the south. Might go the long way around down 25 though Walsenburg to 160. Sort of depends on weather or not it might be snowing up through the pass. Really looking for camping rather than arduous trek. Hiking and a bit of relaxing, might be a bit tame for some.
If you come to the meet it could be a good time to hash out a plan or three.

Brandon

Still thinking of the dunes Nat. Park area to the south. Might go the long way around down 25 though Walsenburg to 160. Sort of depends on weather or not it might be snowing up through the pass. Really looking for camping rather than arduous trek. Hiking and a bit of relaxing, might be a bit tame for some.
If you come to the meet it could be a good time to hash out a plan or three.
Was that tonight? I just got home from work not too long ago.