What's new

Capability vs comfort: the happy median

ExplorerTom

I took the Expedition on the Eclipse Trip. 5 days, 4 nights, 0 complaints.

But I will say, the more room you have, the more room you use. The damn thing was packed and it was just me, my daughter and my dog.

For the terrain we did, the Expedition was perfect.

REDONE

Yes it was! It wasn't rock crawling, it wasn't mudding, it was overlanding and your Expedition was set up just right for it.:)

Morris Yarnell

As Tom said 'For the terrain we did' it appeared that all of the vehicles were more than adequate. Some were quite good at carrying the gear we seemed to need for the week outing and I was amazed at how much they were capable of holding.
Matt's Jeep was holding three people and enough equipment to support his family and although several vehicles carried only one occupant, those that had several inside (including a dog) were still able to travel the roads and pastures we went through.
There was a bit of hype about gasoline being in short supply but I did not notice anywhere that we went that was lacking in that regard. Even the campsites we went to were ample for our group. I attribute this success to careful research and knowledge of the areas and backroads. The adventure was well planned and executed, and in a group this size was very well carried out.

REDONE

Definitely! That marsh where I turned us around was my only limiting obstacle, and I might have made it, too, I just didn't want to try with my wife and kid in the car. I'm pretty sure anything lower than our Cherokee would have had problems with the double track because of all the rocks in the middle, and I did three-wheel at a number of uneven climbs, but never touched low range or the locker. Toms expo was just right for this trip. :)

REDONE

No idea what you're selling or found. That's the main problem with Craigslist. If someone is selling the same thing at a higher price, they'll flag everything similar listed cheaper. I used to work with a jerk that bragged about doing that.

ExplorerTom

Update: still have the Explorer. I got one hit from my craigslist ad and it wasn’t someone looking to buy, it was just someone that said: “nice Explorer!”

Haven’t driven it much. A couple day wheeling trips here and there, to work on occassion, even out to Moab in 2018 and 2019.

The transfercase recently blew up on it.
0B39D749-DBFD-4275-B298-7834CE2D1092.jpeg
662C7671-F622-4E38-8C71-9F3858E73FF4.jpeg
D8BB4B4D-0ABB-4675-BF24-93F3623221F2.jpeg
FC121D79-DE6B-47E3-83A4-70BC0996969B.jpeg

Got it fixed and back home though.

But now the battery is dead and I need to change out the transmission fluid before I drive it (got it really hot last time). Plus my registration is expired and I need to get it emissioned before I can get tags.

But no motivation to do any of that.

Meanwhile the Expedition keeps getting the job done. Went on a quick 2 night trip near Leadville and then on Ben’s North Sand Hills trip. Plus it handles all the daily grind. Even drove it to Mrytle Beach and back. 255k miles and counting.

I swapped over one of my drawers from the Explorer to the Expedition before the North Sand Hills trip. It’s nice having a drawer back there. So convenient.