What's new

coleman grills

nuclearlemon

who knows them well? both gas and propane?

i have a newer (well, ok, about 20 year old) propane stove that the last couple of times won't keep a high flow at elevation. it starts out great, then peters off. i'm not so sure it's not the bottles, i left the two bottles i had with a friend at expo, i'll ask him how they did, but a couple years ago on a 9 day killpecker run, we tried three bottles or so before we found one that kicked ass, then last sept and this trip, i put bottles on and they were blasting the flames for about 1 minute, then they just petered out. flipping the bottle upside down made no difference and the bottles were both over half full.

in preparation, i dug out my old old old 425d (the oddball 425) to see if i could get it to work. it will light, but won't really keep lit unless i i keep pumping the lever, but then again, i think the last time it was used was over 20 years ago i may not even remember how to use it ;)

Clymber

have you made sure the jets are clean
that probably wouldnt explain the working then stopping part thought

nuclearlemon

on the propane, i found a couple of folks with the same issues. first one thought it was his regulator and that wasn't it, but he found a small copper filter in the end and drilled a couple small holes in it and it now works like a champ. second guy copied the first and got same results, so looks like i'm drilling holes in a small filter on the regulator. if it works, i'll post up info because i did read you have to be careful where you drill since the deal to push on the plunger is in the same area.

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
My Coleman is terrible. Propane and the regulators are pretty much full blast of off. Slight touches of the regulator dial cam kind of get a medium heat.

mikeinCO

I've rocked my 2 burner propane Coleman for at least 10 years with only one good dismantle and cleaning. I found it cooks, sizzles and simmers very well. I recently picked up a white gas 416 to be more eco-friendly and have the shakedown this weekend. I just cleaned and lubed the plunger and and getting the right hand workout pumping that thing.

jerdog53

It's all I rock is white gas all they need is a little maintainer once in a while. My single burner 508 worked flawlessly for 20 years before it needed a new generator. My 425 a 70s vintage I bought second hand 15 years ago required a new generator 4 years back. All function flawlessly!