What's new

Colorado BDR Part 2 July 14th-16th

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
A couple years ago we started the Colorado BDR and run it from the Wyoming Boarder to I-70. This time we are going to pick up where we left off and see how far we get. The plan is to start on I-70 and head as far south as we can until we need to turn east and head home Sunday.

More information about the route can be found here:

http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/COBDR

Make sure you take a look a the trails and have a properly equipped vehicle. While this shouldn't be anything difficult extra fuel and water are always a good idea.

When: Friday July 14th - Sunday 16th
Where: 6:00pm meet at Sunmart/Conoco gas station, 18861 US-40 (just off I-70 in Golden)

Any other questions let me know.

Last edited:

AJVan64

I've got an event on Sunday I can't miss... been on the calendar for a while just wasn't sure when this was going to materialize. Looking forward to the recap though! Probably better suited for me to go next year when I've got a substantially more equipped setup so I am not purely relying on others and they could rely on me if it came to that!

Make sure to take plenty of pictures!

AJVan64

Looking more at the route, meeting in Golden at 6 to head to the COBDR, are you going to pick up the trail in Gypsum or Leadville and head south from there?

DaVikes

I'm in. If we start at Gypsum, this is the same route and timing that John, Shawn and I did last summer. Some thoughts - basically the COBDR intersects I70 at Gypsum. There is a campsite just a few minutes north of Gypsum, which is where we stayed the first night, as we were getting to Gypsum about nine. The nearest campsite south of Gypsum is 30-45 minutes south of Gypsum. I will hopefully leave earlier in the day and miss some traffic. If you guys are in agreement, I could take the campsite that I know about. I have the coordinates somewhere, just need to figure out how to get them to you. I also know of a few other campsites on the way down, including John's "on a peak" campsite.

Or, we could start at/near Leadville. I'm open to either.

The trail itself is class 1 or 2 all the way. Never drug anything. There is one little water crossing about 1' deep. There is a very convenient gas station in Gypsum. They sell firewood, but I'm not sure if restrictions are in place at the moment. We finished up mid afternoon near Buena Vista. We bailed out then cause we needed to get back.

Ben, are you bringing Rook? Is just the 3-4 of us? AJVan64, are you in?

Morris Yarnell

Since I am not familiar with the route, I can meet you in Gypsum. It will be better if I leave earlier in the day to avoid some I70 traffic. Perhaps at the gas station you mentioned.

DaVikes

What time were you thinking about leaving? It takes about 2.5 hrs to get there in good traffic. The gas station is on the SE corner of the exit. Can't miss it. It might take Ben 3-3.5 to get there depending on i-70. Also, what mapping software do you use? Do you have a ham radio?

Morris Yarnell

Ross,
I was thinking of leaving Denver about noon. Have to pick up a few groceries. Figure to be in Gypsum a bit earlier than most.
I have two hand helds, one a CB and one a Boefang but no Ham license.
Don't use mapping software as the LR has a decent GPS that finds me almost anywhere.

DaVikes

Morris, I saw you post on the meetup site, but I'm not sure if it broadcasts updates the way this site does. Anyway, can you plug coordinates in to your GPS? Or would you rather meet me at the gas station? There is a campsite that will hold 8 rigs at Lat: 39.71335
Lon: -106.92983. That is 3-4 miles north of Gypsum on 51A. The benefit of the site is that there is room for all of us, and it's easy to find. Also, no need to air down. The drawback is that it is unprotected from the weather. The weather is supposed to be good. When I get up there I'll look and see if there is anything better nearby. I'll be monitoring 146.550. For those that haven't been there before, it would be really challenging to find a site for all of us until an hour or more south of gypsum.

AJVan64

Sadly, I won't be able to make this one... Somebody better remember to snap some shots on the route / campsites and, of course, if anyone gets stuck!

stay safe out there!

Morris Yarnell

Guys...making comments on another forum about happenings on this forum seems a bit counter productive. I often hear that the forum is dead and no one appears to be on it, perhaps if this group's comments were here it wouldn't appear so 'dead'.

Natebert

Had a great time other than some insect bites! Haven't had this many since I left WI :)
See you on the next trip everyone.