CoWj A dream build.

Discussion in 'Vehicle Show and Tell' started by Wyatt, May 15, 2016.

1. Brad

Brad Administrator

Well done!

Wyatt likes this.
  2. jerdog53

jerdog53 Moderator

Mean fab skilz!

Wyatt likes this.
  3. Swank1975

Swank1975 Member

I like that. it's been a while since I've done any real metal fab. In some of my industrial maintenance days I was able to weld and fab as needed on the assembly lines. I built a pretty cool cart for my company provided tool chest at one of my jobs. I've never built any sliders or bumpers but I've been doing research and I think that is the route I'll go when I am ready to armor up the rover. Hopefully this season yet.

Wyatt likes this.
  4. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

I haven't really don't too much in the rock sliders or bumper department however tire carriers and roof racks where I can be slightly off on a measurement while learning how everything works in vehicle fabrication. I learned through school, in a small trade program simply for fun but it let me to discover how much I enjoyed being able to build items that otherwise I would have to buy and have them be a compromise of what I actually want.

5. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

Been a long summer, there wasn't much done on the jeep up until the last few weeks, and that's when it got a lot done... To start out I finished the rear bumper.
    everything is capped off and painted, I took is camping a couple times and other than missing a table and some locks to keep it open I absolutely love it. It has nearly zero movement other than when hitting large bumps or potholes on the highway. I tested and the Jerry can holder and it fits my Front Runner Water can (more on that later)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

6. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

Second Item was some new Wheels, they are alloy so a slight weight reduction which helped the jeeps get up and go, (If only I had time to Regear...hmm)
    They are a 16x8 and it took maybe 2 weeks before I scratches the crap.out of them, then 2 months later I really beat them up on t33a, only cosmetic and they held up great.
    They are the Vision manx and I went with a machined finish for the Fake Rock ring and black for the rest of the wheel. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

I will do the Next 3 as a group as they are related and had to be done together.
    A High Clearance Transmission Cross member from Iron Rock off Road, A Slip Yoke Eliminator plus a Double Cardon Driveshaft custom build by Boulder Driveline, and to finish it off a transfer case cross member which is just pure beef.
    the cross member eliminated the 1" drop bracket and raised the lowest point by roughly 2" so in total the Jeep gained 3" of belly clearance which is huge since I don't exactly run the biggest tires on it maybe I'll go bigger in the near future...
    However by doing this, My slip yoke drive shaft was waayyy to far off angle wise that no matter how hard I tired even getting the angle within .25° equal and opposite so I gave in ordered a Hack and Tap style of SYE, install was simple other than finding a drill bit that would cut into the super hard steel of the output shaft. I ended up with some Cobalt bits, it's worth noting the I bought the optional bits and tap from the company however HSS or High Speed Steel drill bits are not even close to hard enough to drill let alone scratch the output shaft. I got it all installed in the end, called up Boulder driveline and ordered up a 34.125" long double cardon shaft with genuine spicer u joints. $375 and a day later I have zero vibrations and a perfectly build driveshaft.

The skid plate was next, i had one from Rusty's off road but it would fit with the new cross member, so a quick order and I got one that is far beefier and protects the cat as well, its held on by 7 1/2" bolts with nut plates that slip into the frame, this thing is not gonna be going anywhere anytime soon, I can actually lift then entire jeep without the skid plate as much an moving a mm. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

This actually happened mid summer but I decide to give the Dana 30 some serious beef So I started by tearing the entire axle apart.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

Then I sleeved the axle. This sleeves are another 1/4" making the overall Alex tube roughly 1/2" thick total! That will never bend! The sleeves are hammered into the axle tube, then i went and drilled 6-8 1/2" holes per side through the outer tube, and rosset/button welded it in, then I welded the outer edge to the Inner C, i let them cool slowly over night with a blanket on them to reduce any chance of the cast iron cracking.
    I added a 1/4" plate diff cover that matches my rear axle. A nice coat of what I thought was black gloss, which turned out to be a dark brown. Doh!! Well its fine, now I have a pretty strong front axle that will hold up better under the Jeep weight.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

Then a camping trip! Took Olivia and Bear out to a place that I used to camp with the family when I was younger. This was before the cross member and drive shaft stuff.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

Next up was a drawer system! Spent a few days building it, first was the base plate, then walls, boxes, and then finally the top plates.
    The framing is 5/8ths and the boxes are a 3/8ths. It has 250lbs bearing sliders that lock in and out and is secured to the jeeps factory tie down locations. It is put together using wood glue and 16ga nails that were shot in with a finish nail gun
    One side is dropped to account for the fridge, a dometic cfx-35us delivered tomorrow. (Of course the day I leave for this year in Gunnison) which will have a slide that is gonna be bolted to that top plate. The other side will have mounting loops or preferably Aluminium Aircraft mounting track, but that is later.
    I was planning on covering it with spackle (to fill in any holes and nail heads and then giving it a coating with some rustolium bed liner but I unfortunately have run out of time. So maybe thanks giving break. So until then its uncoated. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

While doing the axle sleeves I notices the Tie rod end boots were split and starting to have play, as I dug more into it, I found the Tie rod ends were seized into the tie rod, So I decided to upgrade, so I called up Iron Man Fab and ordered a 7075 upgrade, it is made of 1.5" diameter solid 7075 aluminium bar, it is built and design to have flex in it when you hit a rock and then bounce back to the original shape, instead of just bending. But unfortunately when I got it, they sent me the wrong length drag link, too short. Oh well, I called them, (tiny shop, I think 2 maybe 3 guys total) they went over the measurements with me and the factory drag link, we relayed that to the machinist and as I was ending the phone call he was already spinning it up on the lathe, I got it in the mail a couple days later, and it was perfect! Got it tow set by the sting test and matching the previous width. Adjusted the drag link by driving up and down the road and adjusting it as needed to center the steering, there now is zero play, tracks straight no pulling other than Away the road crown like with any vehicle, especially solid axles. I ordered a 1.5" od tubing clamp to mount my steering stabilizer to and made sure to tighten down those jam nuts after all the adjustments. Now its good to go.
    Now the Jeeps got a tab bit of bling in the front end. Haha[​IMG][​IMG]

13. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

And a small upgrade but I forgot to take up close photos of it, new A pillar lights. I have been a fan of Extreme LED for a while now and have never had an issue in the 3 years I've had there lights My Pods have been on the jeep since my first trip out before bumpers and everything. Never slipped a beat, however I wanted an upgrade so I picked up there new Side Shooter lights, bolted them onto my brackets wired them to my SwitchPro and I was good to go. And I went out do some light testing at night. As i have no idea how to insert the photos into the text on my phone they are in order
    Side Shooters only, 32" bar white only, 32" bar Amber only, reverse lights, then All together. All are without headlights and Burt the taco is about 100' and the garage is about 125'
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

Huge hail storm rolled in! It poured hail for 20-30 minutes so loud my dad and I had to yell to hear each other even just a few yards away. Luckily the hail never got above pea sized so no damage was done to the jeep or the taco, i went out to explore after words, found a downed tree, and pulled it off the road, no pictures, and then i found roads covered in hail, some of it 7-8" deep. Pretty insane. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

After the hail storm is reminded me that I should probably relearn how to put chains on before heading back to the frozen desert of Gunnison hopefully i get to use these this year. 4Hi locked, Falken AT3Ws, Front Lsd, rear Air Locker, and chains.
    CoWj will be pretty unstoppable in the snow this winter.[​IMG][​IMG]

16. ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom Well-Known Member

Can you send me the part number for the sliders that you used for the drawers? I bought some ARB drawers for my Explorer, but I’m looking to not spend nearly that much for some drawers for my Expedition.

17. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

18. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

Welp, I finally caved and bought a fridge a dometic CFX-35US
    Ok not sure why but I am having issues with pictures showing up sideways and upside down during posting. Hopefully I can figure this out soon its getting annoying.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]