What's new

Day trip: Snow Wheeling!

ExplorerTom

i got my Explorer on the road again and I'm ready for some 4wheeling! Snow wheeling!

But, the rest of this year is shot for me. I'm proposing a snow wheeling day for 1/9/2016. Where? Somewhere down around Woodland Park. There's a lot of trails down there that are really easy when dry and can be fun with some snow. And it could be one of the last snow wheeling trips in that area if this comes true:
http://gazette.com/some-pike-and-san-isabel-forest-roads-closed-because-of-lack-of-study/article/1564647
http://www.eenews.net/assets/2015/11/16/document_pm_01.pdf

And there's a few others too that jumped out at me: like 110 and 110.J (aka Halfmoon Creek which leads to the Champion Mill).

As best I can tell, the trails are still open (barring seasonal closures). But by Nov 16, 2016 some (or all) of those trails could be closed. The Sierra Club strikes again!

The type of wheeling should be easy. No snow bashing. No steep slopes to slip off. No crazy wheel spinning thru the snow finding rocks (and breaking stuff). But should be a good way to get out of the house and have some fun in the snow.

If the weather is really crappy, we'll reschedule.

Brandon

I'm sure I'll be in!
I'm thinking of doing the Georgetown ice race fun day on Friday Jan 8th

Last edited:

wpsfan

Busy time for us but hard to say no since Woodland Park is just up the road. I'm in as of now, looks like I'll be buying tires sooner than I thought!

zukrider

Well geez, way to make me want to rush home and test out the new rig! Pending the weather forecast on Friday, I just might rush home to make this!

Full disclaimer, it'll be in the new rig!

ExplorerTom

So.... I may need to work this weekend. Like 95% chance.

So I'm gong to push until 1/16/2016. That'll give the Ice Racers a chance to rest after a day of that OR if anyone was on the fence and could only do one or the other.

Brandon

So.... I may need to work this weekend. Like 95% chance.

So I'm gong to push until 1/16/2016. That'll give the Ice Racers a chance to rest after a day of that OR if anyone was on the fence and could only do one or the other.
Work has been scientifically proven to be overrated... Just throwing it out there. :)

96EXXLTinCO

Well we have a better chance at making the 16th than the 9th, but I don't know at this point if I could have either one of the Explorers ready to go by then. I heard snow tomorrow, so there's already probably one day I'll get squat done. I put it on my calendar anyway though, I'll try like hell to make it by then.

ExplorerTom

So I'm reviving this thread. I still want to get out.

This weekend isn't great for me, so I was thinking NEXT weekend. Let's call it: "Super Bowl Saturday Wheeling". I like going on Saturdays to give us "Monday thru Friday" people an extra day just in case the excrement hits the rotating air moving assembly.

However, then I saw this:
http://www.9news.com/story/weather/2016/01/27/major-snow-storm-possible-early-next-week-colorado/79418280/
Woodland Park is in that pink area. So there could be a bunch of fresh powder to go blasting through.

The trails I was thinking about hitting would be non-technical and not steep.

Any interest?

Brandon

Always interest.. Im excited about the possible coming snow! Sounds like a day off and just drive around sliding and pulling people out of ditches!

Odomandr

I might be in if I can shoot a gun where we go. It's Rochelles Bday and she asked to shoot guns

Sent from my SM-N910T

Brandon

Saturday still a go? Should we get a little roster going if so?
I'm in, need to get out and stretch the Taco's legs!

ExplorerTom

I'm in.

Let's meet at the Conoco in Sedalia at 8:15 and aim for leaving at 8:30 Saturday morning. HERE

Then drive down to Westcreek. ROUTE We will air down and disconnect at the end location in the route. We should be at this location around 9:30.

Cell phone reception in the Westcreek area isn't the greatest.

From there we will explore roads 3, 68, 360, 33, 5, 362 and whatever else. We will let conditions and the MVUM be our guide. The Gulches (Hackett, Metberry, Longwater) are in this area as well, but I think given the recent storm and how steep those trails are (and it's uphill on the way out....) we will avoid them.

I've been in this area in the summer and the trails are not difficult. Non-existent danger of sliding off cliffs. Should be a fun day of getting snow packed into the undercarriage of the rigs.

But with that said, come prepared. Bring shovels (and not what you use to shovel your driveway), bring extra clothes, bring food, bring water.....

Brandon

Sexy Time! Yeah, based on the last snow bashing run, I can guarantee that Longwater will be inaccessible for a while. As will the other ones, I remember some steep stuff for dry conditions.

And if you dont have anything but what you use to shovel your driveway... bring it, since its better than nothing.