What's new

Decision time

ExplorerTom

unfortunately not the "what kind of badass custom bumper should I get" decision.

A little over a year ago I was a dumbass while trying to install some auxiliary backup lights in my rear bumper. I made some templates for the hole cutouts, I measured where to put them so they'd be even, I started drilling and cutting into the bumper........ THEN I looked on the backside of the bumper. That's when I discovered some significant structure just behind where I was trying to put the lights.

Since then I've been left with this:

The rust streaks are getting bad and there's nothing I can do about the cuts and holes.

Today I went to the junkyard and got a clean, straight replacement.

Now the question:
Polish up the chrome and keep the factory look?
OR
Prep the bumper really well for paint?

Here's my truck for those that aren't familiar:

The obvious choice is to paint it black. But if I do that, I'll also have to paint the front. And why stop there- also paint the trim. I'm not opposed to any of that but I don't want it to look like poo in a little while- rock chips on all the leading edges and whatnot. What's the best way to prep a chrome bumper for paint? What about the trim?

REDONE

I vote to keep it chrome. It will stay nice enough for forever, and when you mess up another bumper, you can bolt on another JY replacement without a bunch of painting.

ExplorerTom

I started prep on the bumper for paint.

My biggest fear was the paint not holding up and flaking off easy. I think I've got a prep method that should yield good results. But we'll see.

No pics of the prep. I sanded the chrome down with some 80-grit and then I hit it with some self-etching primer.

ExplorerTom

Finally got it mounted. I ended up going with Rustoleum rattle can bedliner spray. Touch ups should be easy. I just hope it holds up.

REDONE

Looks good buddy! My J-10 is almost completely covered in Rustoleum rattlecan bedliner (ironically, except the actual bed) then different shades of flat brown over that. I had issues getting it to stick to chrome bits, like the Ford door mirrors and the grill, but I just tried to scuff it all up with 80 grit sanding sponges. I think the etching primer will probably yield better results for you! Again, from the pic I'd say that looks pretty nice!