What's new

Dinosaur National Monument area - trip

MileHi

Hi all, my first post. I met some of you at Oddessy Beerworks at the last event.

Just posting up that my 13yo son and I are leaving for a 3 day overland around the Dinosaur and Vernal UT area. Never been there before. Looks like lots of trails and accessible land. I'll post up a trip report when we get back.

If anyone has tips about that area please reply.

Anthony

MileHi

Thanks Wyatt for that link. Great trip report! Gates of Lodard I had waypointed, we'll see if we make it there. I'm looking to maybe camp tonight on the Green River, just SW of the south entrance to the monument.

Natebert

Great area. Passed through there a few years back with my mom and we went to the north side to see the petroglyphs then camped at the Island Park area. I got one of my favorite pictures when we woke up the next morning.
DSC05980.jpg

Definitely recommend going to that area since it's more raw.
The road is marked "impassable when wet" and I bet it can be when it's really raining but NPS marks for passenger cars. We got rained on over the night and mom was very worried but had no problems getting out.

Yampa Bench Road is beautiful (easy, 2/10) but take your motion sickness pills.

Also be sure to check out the Quarry Hall. Very cool.

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
That area plus some of the off I-70 trails north of Moab would be a fun trip.

Morris Yarnell

Recently received a Wells book on a Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-wheel-Drive Trails, Third Edition. Looks like some interesting stuff.

Wyatt

Great area. Passed through there a few years back with my mom and we went to the north side to see the petroglyphs then camped at the Island Park area. I got one of my favorite pictures when we woke up the next morning.
View attachment 1889
Definitely recommend going to that area since it's more raw.
The road is marked "impassable when wet" and I bet it can be when it's really raining but NPS marks for passenger cars. We got rained on over the night and mom was very worried but had no problems getting out.

Yampa Bench Road is beautiful (easy, 2/10) but take your motion sickness pills.

Also be sure to check out the Quarry Hall. Very cool.
While technically it might be passable, I would recommend it. This was. 2 days after a rain storm and the road (made of bentonite clay) has the same traction as pure ice. The climb out of the park would not be drivable in severe conditions.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Natebert

Ah, the Jeeps natural protective coating. That looks like a fun trail :)

I hit some wet bentonite 2 years back near Goblin Valley. Nasty stuff. Just like driving on ice and I think some is still stuck to my undercarriage.