What's new

Eclipse Viewing Jackson, WY Aug 21, 2017

REDONE

What do you guys think of this for a Sunday night camp? I've been googling it for a while and nobody on the internet talks about it at all. Doesn't mean it's low use, but it's not getting the attention that all the more known places are!
https://www.blm.gov/visit/green-mountain

We could all have our different adventures, then meet up there Sunday, camp, then convoy up to the airfield for the eclipse!

Morris Yarnell

I really do appreciate you doing all this research. I think that that plan is very workable and merits applause for your efforts. I have the 18th through the 23rd blocked out for this adventure so it certainly fits in my schedule.
I would be most likely taking 25 up to Casper and go from there.

REDONE

I'm glad to do it! My wife and I adventured so much before we settled down and had Helen. I signed up here to try and jumpstart this new phase of adventure car-camping with a toddler/kid. But, as you've also noticed, sometimes the RMO seems like a flickering candle. With as big of a deal as a TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE is, I'll light up a lantern!:)

I'm going to pull the trigger on the stickers. I hope Ben is ok with them saying RMO, but I'll have them at the final rendezvous to hand out to all who make it!

Current planned route:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39.7255072,-105.1102018/Marvine+Campground,+Meeker,+CO+81641/40.4207504,-109.2435547/42.3422523,-107.6734569/42.8702727,-107.4886977/39.7279486,-105.1096205/@41.3491933,-107.4271405,7.54z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x8743d6de4fb59799:0x6468dac3dcb975aa!2m2!1d-107.425994!2d40.0080386!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!3e0

Last edited:

Natebert

I get busy for a couple days and this thread goes wild :)
So let me see what we've got. So far it's Matt, Tom, Morris, and myself. Aiming for various points between Tetons and Douglas, WY with possible reroutes based on the weather.
Great googling for spots Matt. We'll have to talk over the options at the Meet & Greet and pay attention to the weather as we get closer.

Stickers sound great!

ExplorerTom

It is a little disheartening looking at how little of Wyoming seems to be public land. The MVUMs are sparse and littered with private property.

REDONE

Yeah, that's why I was after the surface management map. In my recent conversations with BLM people, they've cracked down on the locked gates and false signage. I watched a youtube documentary today on the green mountain area where I proposed that Sunday campground. I love eating beef, but I don't like locked gates on public land. For a YouTube documentary it was decent in reflecting the three sides of the issue (ranchers/public usage/bureaucracy) I'll post a link tomorrow. I still need to contact the Landers field office since it looks like it may be a fee usage area. I also need to verify access to that airstrip.

ExplorerTom

I just hope traffic has returned to normal on Tuesday.

And this also has me thinking about gas- and the potential for stations running out. I'm planning on bringing extra.

REDONE

Totally!:)
I've tried calling the Lander field office a couple times to inquire about camping at Green mountain, but no answer or voice mail. Probably not a staffed office. I did find that it's a pay area ($6 a night) with no reservations, but I want to know how busy they think it will be. There's no chatter about it at all anywhere on the internet (except me, obviously).

Morris Yarnell

Thinking of going a few days early and trying to camp a few places, good to have the time. Maybe head West on 70 and come in the 'back' way.

Just a thought...supply and demand. Gas may be just a bit higher cost than we are used to. Carrying extra would be a good idea.

Last edited:

REDONE

Good call on the gas, guys. Our family adventure-mobile gets crazy good milage, but price gouging sucks. Also, while I don't expect much traffic in the boonies I've proposed (I may be wrong), anyone touching a 2-lane highway may get stuck for a while.

Morris, can't wait to talk to you Tuesday. I've got a short list of things in the area I want to take a look at, but probably won't have the time. Might be of interest to you if you'll be there for a while!

Last edited:

dirtlimo

Just throwing this out there...Headed to MO (2:40 of totality) to my bros farm. You are welcome to caravan, quite a drive i understand.

So as usual, I'm checking on this site way late. My plans are set in stone just yet, but I live in Granby off 125 & hopefully have a less used back way to & from Wyoming. My plan is to head up either with our popup camper & family to the Medicine Bow just north of Laramie to an established FCFS campground on a lake. Or if my wife bails out, then just my little boy & I without the camper. I bought a book called Wyoming Backroads and it's full of info. I know I won't be in the 100% area, but I'd assume I'll get 96% viewing. If anyone is interested in scouting the weekend prior, shoot me a message.