What's new

Eclipse Viewing Jackson, WY Aug 21, 2017

Craig F

I think Nate is still planning to shoot for Jackson, with the points I've posted as the contingency.

I'm sure anyone that's driven through WY knows this already, but cell coverage in Wyoming is virtually non existent. Even along the interstates it's typically "emergency calls only". Wife has Verizon and I have AT&T, and from the UT border to Laramie there's only two islands of coverage; in Rawlins and Little America. Cell phones are not reliable comms in Western Wyoming.:confused:
I wish I had time to head up to Jackson but I have to get back to work on Tuesday so Matt it looks like I will be with your group if that is OK.

REDONE

I'm convinced that anything resembling a town will be over packed, so I'm saving a Tetons trip for next spring.;)

You're more than welcome to join up with me, as is anyone else. If anyone headed somewhere else finds it too crowded, they can adjust plans and head my way, too! So long as we're all getting out there, we're doing it right.:)

On that note, I hit the road on Friday, for the white river national Forest, then Dinosaur national Park on Saturday, then head to camp green on Sunday. I'll share any pertinent info through aprs.

Anyone unfamiliar with APRS, it's a ham radio thing, BUT you don't need a ham radio if you have an internet connection.
Go to the website aprs.fi . Not dot com, but dot eff eye. It's based on Google maps and has a search field. Type my call sign into the search bar, which is KE0LSU, and click search. It should bring up KE0LSU-5, which is my Cherokee. The tricky part is you have to click the little box next to KE0LSU-5 before clicking "track" for it to show me. At that point it will show a little red car on a map wherever I am. If you click the little red car, it will open a balloon that shows the last message I've attached. Right now it says "testing my new aprs rig", since I last used it to make sure it works in the San Juans.

Morris Yarnell

I may see you a DNP on Sat as my plans are very flexible. I wanted to leave on Thursday to avoid some of the road madness but there is a lot to see on the way there so taking an extra day is not out of the question.

Morris Yarnell

Thanks for that link. Seems like worth the drive. I'll try to find that campground. Is it in the White River National Forest?

Found it. East of Meeker above (North) of Glenwood springs. The forest, I mean, not the campground. Its not listed on my big map of Colorado.
OMG...found it, the campground. Really out there. I can see why you would pick that place, remote by my standards but there is a possibility that it might not be overly crowded. Hope to see you there.

Last edited:

Christine

This thread is getting very long, it would be good if a summary of the trips was posted. I'm interested in piling on to the abandoned airfield trip, but not the entire weekend trip. Would like to meet there on Sunday (I'll leave CO very early). Also, I'm considering taking my Subaru Outback because it has a lot more fuel range. I'm anticipating difficulty in getting gasoline, if so many people will be on the road. I recommend that everyone gas up whenever possible.

REDONE

Christine, a Sunday meet at the cottonwood campground on green Mountain in WY is exactly what I was hoping to arrange! Tonight or tomorrow (whenever I get a chance to get on my computer) I'll put up a summary. Anyone is welcome to join me at any point during the weekend but anyone who is at the airfield will get a sticker and moonshine, haha!

ExplorerTom

Anyone peeked at the forecast? I'm digging the temperature outlook. Not so sure about the cloudiness though.

Alliance, NE is showing sunny on Monday with warmer temps.

Natebert

Because we have several people leaving on separate days from different locations we're going to try to meetup but may not be able to collect everyone. There are 2 main plans right now. Me up to Jackson (Gros Ventre Wilderness) and Matt to ~50mi west of Casper. I think it would be really cool to be on a mountain and watch the shadow approach but its a long way to Jackson (9hr) and I understand if people want to stay closer to Casper (5hr any day but Monday).

We're getting close enough now that we can start looking at the weather though.
Jackson - Cool and 0% rain :)
Casper - A bit warmer and 0% rain :)

By Wednesday I'd like everyone to say which route they're planning and when they're leaving so we can form groups and adjust plans.

Phones will be very spotty in WY but texts should occasionally get through so hopefully we can get people to meetup and get scouting reports of where there are camping spots available in case of crowds. If we got to Gros Ventre and found it stuffed full of people but Matt said its empty over by him we'll have plenty of time to start toward Casper. There are some spots near Lander at halfway and I'm sure more on the way.

Morris Yarnell

I will be leaving on Thursday afternoon and taking most of the route that Matt has outlined in his posts.
Trying to secure a spot for Thursday somewhere along the way and also going to Dinosaur Nat Monument. I'll have the time, hope there is space.
I will try to monitor the Ham channel we used last trip, not sure of reception.

Nate: I gave you my phone at last meet. Perhaps texts will work.

REDONE

You should be fine Morris. They block out a ton of sites as first-come-first-serve, only a handful can be reserved so it doesn't mean it'll be packed.;)

Nate is absolutely right. The main thing is getting everyone who can to take a trip. :cool:
Once the dust settles from this trip I hope to put together a "summer sunset" trip to the South before it gets too cold for comfortable family camping.:confused:

Morris Yarnell

thanks Matt,
I called to possibly reserve a site but also informed it was FCFS so I expect that it may not be an issue. Probably be there early on Friday anyway. The place is also a ways out from civilization so it will not necessarily be many folks idea of the best place to be. Do you know if there any water close?
Always like the lulling sounds of a stream splashing over rocks.

REDONE

The green River campground in DNM is aptly named. I don't know how much burbling brook ambiance you'll get, but there is moving water right there. ;)

Anyone unfamiliar with APRS, it's a ham radio thing, BUT you don't need a ham radio if you have an internet connection.
Go to the website aprs.fi . Not dot com, but dot eff eye. It's based on Google maps and has a search field. Type my call sign into the search bar, which is KE0LSU, and click search. It should bring up KE0LSU-5, which is my Cherokee. The tricky part is you have to click the little box next to KE0LSU-5 before clicking "track" for it to show me. At that point it will show a little red car on a map wherever I am. If you click the little red car, it will open a balloon that shows the last message I've attached. Right now it says "testing my new aprs rig", since I last used it to make sure it works in the San Juans.
A little tip: if you type in the address directly such as aprs.fi/KE0LSU-5 , you can skip the search, and it will take you directly to the last known position. It works for any call sign.
Anyone driving up I-25, there is a decent repeater in Wheatland that gives good coverage from Chugwater north to Glendo. 146.88 (100Hz tone) I will be monitoring on Saturday.

Natebert

Matt, did you ever get any more info on the green mountain campsite or able to contact the blm?
I'm thinking I may change my Saturday night site to there (only about an hour difference vs Rock Springs from Aspen and closer for people coming from Denver) and then continue up to Jackson Sunday. Or if the weather turns bad hang out there and meet everyone else there Sunday night.

REDONE

I wasn't going to share because I don't want to discourage anyone, but about the 5th time I called the Lander office, somebody picked up the phone and slammed it down a couple times before hanging it up on me. (Seems topical of a lone government employee in an office by himself dealing with grumpy ranchers day in and day out).

I don't think it's eclipse related though, and even if it is, I have those two alternate bivouacs if it's full.

The campground itself looks awesome though! On Google Earth it's all green trees, and I found a YouTube video by "Wyoming overland" where he just wheels his XJ through the area and did some fishing in the creek.

REDONE

Also, I think the hype is over the top. The only significant talk of the eclipse is in published media. Yeah, I think the populated areas and paved roads will see unprecedented traffic and crowds, but I don't think it's the apocalyptic nightmare that it's being made out to be. My sphere of influence is the prime demographic for travelling for the eclipse, yet my family is the only one making plans to go. Everyone with kids can't go because school starts, and all the dinks are too busy with something at work. A group of 50 medical professionals, lawyers, and engineers all as close to totality as Denver only produces one vehicle worth of eclipse travelers. We all have the education to recognize the significance, the seniority to take the time and the means to get there, but only my little family is making it happen.

In all my other forums where I participate, from rockets to jeeps, there's little to no talk of traveling for the eclipse and no mention of camping in Wyoming except what we have here. Accounting for media bias and looking for confirmation of mass migration, evidence is scant.:oops:

Oh, Chistine! I've zoomed in as much as possible and looked in 2D and 3D. I'm pretty sure that if your Subi can handle a cattle guard, you shouldn't have any issues.;)