What's new

Eclipse Viewing Jackson, WY Aug 21, 2017

Layton

So to thicken the plot ...my track path is to leave saturday AM have a front range meet up possibly 8:30 at hwy 34 and i 25 park and ride then another at "the forks" livermore on hwy 287 at 10...
from there either rally to red feather and take deadman rd to county rd 103 or venture a bit more north to cherokee park area via 80c/sandcreek rd to CR103 and then Jelm to Centenial via medicen bow and up to Rawlings/I80 to meet up there and then camping where the concensus takes us. Thoughts?

Craig F

So to thicken the plot ...my track path is to leave saturday AM have a front range meet up possibly 8:30 at hwy 34 and i 25 park and ride then another at "the forks" livermore on hwy 287 at 10...
from there either rally to red feather and take deadman rd to county rd 103 or venture a bit more north to cherokee park area via 80c/sandcreek rd to CR103 and then Jelm to Centenial via medicen bow and up to Rawlings/I80 to meet up there and then camping where the concensus takes us. Thoughts?
Layton - I can do that and note that I might have the boys depending when the group decides to return as they are supposed to be in school. I actually ran Deadman's the other day to test out the new suspension. Let me know. the timeline as it seems there are several groups going not all at the same time. Perhaps we should have a group call ( I have a conference line) some we can decide as Matt and Nat all have different routes and departure times.

REDONE

Awesome Morris! I'm glad they didn't mention the green mountain campground! I'd like that to stay or little secret, haha!

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
I hope you guys can find a spot. As far as I can tell it is going to be VERY busy up there.

REDONE

I hope you guys can find a spot. As far as I can tell it is going to be VERY busy up there.
I can't find anything past what's in my news feed to verify that it's going to be so crowded. Even then they use disclaimers like "foresee" and "expect". None of the back country forums are talking about it, and of all the people I know and talk to regularly in real life (sphere of influence) my family is the only one going, let alone camping in the boonies for it. I'm sure that hotels and Yellowstone will be busy, but I'm really surprised how much of the real world population doesn't seem to care.

ExplorerTom

Several people i work with are going. But I work in the space industry, so the people i work with are a little more pre-disposed to spacy things.

Natebert

THE PLAN:
Weather looks good for most of WY for the eclipse. Earlier this week it was fair with the good stuff being far west but now pretty much the whole state looks good. https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/solar-eclipse-viewing-conditions-clouds-could-spoil-views-in-oregon-southeast/70002450

Since we have so many going at different times from different places we're all going to group up at the Green Mountain Cottonwood Campground Matt found. Looks like a great spot and far enough off the beaten path to not be busy.
Tom & John said they'll probably get there mid-afternoon Sat and I'll get there around 7. Several other people will be joining us Sat. Then Sunday morning we'll head out toward Jackson and the Grosse Ventre Wilderness (GVW) to find a mountain to camp and watch from. I have book of camping spots in the area that lists several no reservations accepted campgrounds and there are several dispersed camping spots in the area. Could take a few tries but I think we'll find something.
Matt should be getting to Green Mt Sunday afternoon and can take our spots and maybe hold an extra or two incase there's nothing available in GVW and we decided to come back :) Matts group will head up to his observation point Monday morning.

The GVW group will head back after the eclipse but depending on traffic may camp Monday night in Medicine bow NF just north of the CO border.

Green Mt 42.360085, -107.684256 https://www.blm.gov/visit/green-mountain

If you have HAM radio tune it to 146.550 and call out every once in a while.
I'll start a group text chat so everyone can update the others on conditions, camp sites, arrival times, etc. Please don't use it for extended chatting since in WY even txt may have trouble getting through. Make sure to identify yourself in the text. I currently have numbers for Tom, Morris, Mike, Matt, Mike N, Nick, Christine, Layton, Dave. Anyone I'm missing?

Let me know who to expect on Sat.

David Wayne

Wednesday decision time!

After looking at the travel times and the options, I have decided to track to the "airstrip" following Matt's schedule as outlined here on the forum. So I plan to leave early in the morning and spend Thursday night above Buena Vista and then travel to meet up with Matt and Morris at Marvine CG Friday, and then continue as Matt has planned. Haven't been to DNM in almost 30 years, since the 1989 Hang Gliding Championships where I set a personal best of 16,300 MSL, woohoo!

Matt, I appreciate the research and look forward to another great time!

Dave@Dave-Wayne.com
719 371-4030

Christine

Oh, Chistine! I've zoomed in as much as possible and looked in 2D and 3D. I'm pretty sure that if your Subi can handle a cattle guard, you shouldn't have any issues.;)
Awesome, thanks so much! I'll probably still take the Jeep, it's much better for camping.