What's new

External 12V Plug For Compressor?

Jim

I finally broke down and got a Viair 450 portable compressor. It connects to the battery with alligator clips. This means that when airing up I have to explain to nice folks that come by that things are OK even though my hood is open.
The previous owner had mounted a a round 4-wire trailer light harness connector in the grill and used this for a homemade winch control. So I have this hole in the middle of the 'O' in Toyota......seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Got me to thinking why not hard wire a 12V plug into that location and replace the alligator clips on the compressor with mating parts.
I'm having no luck finding much in the way of weatherproof 12V connectors, especially one which will fit this pre-existing hole in my grill.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Jim

Brandon

Search for motorcycle or boat 12v outlet, there are a ton out there, whether they are small enough for your needs is another problem.

ExplorerTom

what about a typical extension cord? It might not use the same hole in your grill though.

Think of a block heater meets a winch connector- a block heater uses a normal extension cord but doesn't have any power to short if the contacts get shorted together (ice/snow build up, deep water.....), but a winch connector does. I've never heard of anyone's winch running due to that issue.

Jim

what about a typical extension cord? It might not use the same hole in your grill though.

Think of a block heater meets a winch connector- a block heater uses a normal extension cord but doesn't have any power to short if the contacts get shorted together (ice/snow build up, deep water.....), but a winch connector does. I've never heard of anyone's winch running due to that issue.
Like you I've never heard of a winch running due to something getting into the connector other than deliberate sabotage.
The block heater is a good baseline.
I could just rewire a round 4-pin trailer harness setup like the PO did for his winch control. Not sure how much current those will handle. I'm dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to electrical.

Morris Yarnell

I have been using Powerlet plugs for about 15 years. They are the same plugs the military vehicles that I have owned use and they will handle most power requirements quite well. I have one installed in my LR for the maintenance light I carry.
Also have the Bandc 12V and USB outlets in the LR that Overland has recommended.

Reactions: Jim