What's new

Fab Fours bumper

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
I know them from the Jeep world, good quality and finish. The can be a little on the expensive side but tend to be fairly beefy so you get what you pay for.

If you decide to get the tire carrier just be aware that it's a pain the butt having to swing the tire out of the way before dropping the tailgate. On a Jeep that's usually a sign of one that wasn't engineered as well and it can become frustrating over time. Of course on a pickup there's no alternative so it's just something to be aware of.

nuclearlemon

If you decide to get the tire carrier just be aware that it's a pain the butt having to swing the tire out of the way before dropping the tailgate. On a Jeep that's usually a sign of one that wasn't engineered as well and it can become frustrating over time. Of course on a pickup there's no alternative so it's just something to be aware of.
not being a jeep person, i can't picture how you could lower a tailgate with a tire carrier there?

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
The Jeep tailgate swings to the side. Stock Jeeps mount the tire to the tailgate which can't handle the weight of a larger tire. Often people add a rear bumper with a swing away tire carrier to support the extra weight. On cheaper designs you have to swing the tire away and then open the tailgate, on better designs it all opens in one motion. Mine swings all together but people tend to complain about the two step process.

On a drop down tailgate there is nothing you can do but a two step.

DaVikes

For the money, that's a nice bumper. Bumpers with tire carriers can easily go over 2k. The next most reasonable one I've found is http://www.pelfreybilt.com/#!2005-rear-standard-plate/cmmw . It costs more, but can carry rotopax and apparently a hi-lift jack. It also allows for a hidden hitch. After you get your spare out from underneath, the factory hitch is the first thing to drag.

Are you going to relocate your back up camera, or just do without it?

ExplorerTom

How much is the fab fours?

I had my rear bumper custom built for $1600. I need to take it back to him and have some features added, but it's a solid bumper.

Clymber

Tom think the grand total is $1300 to 1500 depending on who you get it from If I got without the tire carrier its will be around 700

DaVikes i thin I may just go without the camera all though it is pretty useful at times and the hitch I don't really tow anything ever and it does have places to hook a shackle on so getting pulled out of pulling someone out won't be a problem

ExplorerTom

Why would you skip on the tire carrier? Is the tire up under the bed? One of the main advantages of having a tire carrier is so you don't have to dig out the spare when you need it.

Clymber

i wouldn't skip the tire carrier just get it later on I have a wish list that is way bigger than my bank account

DaVikes

So is mine. For what it's worth, you should be able to get up to a 33" tire under the bed, with just some minor modifications with 5lb sledge:eek:. I can't get a 33" under the bed, because my axel is 1" farther back than stock, and I think the hidden hitch sits farther forward than stock, both of which shrink the space needed for the spare. I'm thinking about getting someone to put a tire carrier on my rear bumper.

Here's food for thought. The problem with the fab fours bumper is that you keep the stock hitch, so your not really gaining any clearance at the rear center, only at the rear corners. I can't remember if you have a stock front bumper, but if you do, I would prioritize replacing it first. I think the aftermarket front bumpers provide a greater gain in clearance than most of aftermarket rear bumpers, and the clearance seems more useful in front.

Last edited:

nuclearlemon

I'm not sure if there is a tire carrier available for the rear, but it could probably be added. It's rare to find anything used for sale in the Denver area.
looks like a solid enough base that someone like redline or addicted could add a spare carrier to if it's not available.

plus, the rising sun rally is coming up in a couple of weekends. good place to look for stuff (although not as good as it used to be when it was just a club swapmeet...seems people have sold off a lot of their stuff throughout the years and stuff for sale has gotten a bit scarce some years)