GPX Editor

Discussion in 'Navigation Skills & Gear' started by Brandon, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

I have a GPX file that I want to delete some wrong turns. I've downloaded a couple editors, and with this one I can easily join two files, and it'll cut the track once.. then just "not respond" until I have to kill it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gpxeditor/

Another one looked nicer but did not have any way to edit or join tracks so that was deleted. Downloading Viking GPS data analyzer right now, maybe that'll work.

2. Brandon

Looks like the Viking GPS one works well. Except there is no undo button! Or at least I cant figure out where to find it. But interested if anyone has any other ones that work well if this one doesnt pull through.

3. jerdog53

jerdog53 Moderator

Why not use Garmin Basecamp?

4. Brandon

Didn't pop up when i was searching for it. Is she free?

5. 96EXXLTinCO

96EXXLTinCO New Member

I use GPS track editor. It's free, and a little...............basic I guess you could call it, but once you figure out how to use it, it works well for cleaning up tracks, especially if you have whatever you're recording with set-up to snap your location really frequently. I've had to clean up almost every track I've done.

6. jerdog53

jerdog53 Moderator

Yes, Basecamp is a free download and a pretty powerful tool albeit not very intuitive.

Brandon likes this.
  7. Brandon

I think the gps track editor is what i initially downloaded. It has what i need but it's the one that won't respond after i cut a track.

And i downloaded Basecamp but haven't had a chance to play with it but it looks real nice.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  8. Brandon

My hate of Windows operating system knows no limits! Apparently I have no Windows media player, but it was supposed to come with the computer (purchased 2-3 years ago). Basecamp wont install without it....

Windows website, not much help. There is a zero chance I will buy another Windows product. Still keep meaning to install a linux OS instead of this POS.

9. jerdog53

jerdog53 Moderator

Works great on an Apple....just sayn....

10. Brandon

Yeah I wont do that. :) I had an iPod once.

Updated to Windows 10, but I'll have to mess with it after the weekend.

11. jerdog53

jerdog53 Moderator

the iPod was to smart for you? [​IMG]

Brandon likes this.
  12. Brandon

Haha. I'm just not into a company that intentionally creates their products to be a pain in the ass to adapt to other products. It all works great if you have all Apple stuff... Case and point is their charging cables. Not only do they fuck the iFollowers over by having the only different cables to begin with (compared to the pretty standard micro USB), they charge an arm and a leg for them, and keep changing them. But I am sure they say its to make things bigger, faster, better. :D

But thats why there are options. Plenty of people love Apple, I'm one who doesn't. Without options... we'd be stuck with Comcast, a company nobody likes. Oh wait, we pretty much are. :(

When will Google release an OS for computers! They might as well!

13. jerdog53

jerdog53 Moderator

Its not a PITA its just different.
    They have had 2 different cables in their existence thats not what I would call changing all the time, and there is aftermarket cable manufactures that are better priced.

14. Brandon

Different for sure :) I was just going off what Iphone users were complaining about, could be two or seven for all I know. I just know that people were'nt happy when they had to purchase all new insanely priced (coming from a non-iphone perspective) cables for whatever accessories they had.

15. Brandon

Anyone else that is having trouble with Basecamp installing... apparently the Basecamp is looking for Windows Media Player for some reason and wont install without it. But at the same time, when you upgrade to Windows 10, that removes Windows Media Player from your system whether you like it or not.

Solution is to unpack the installer and then run BCmain.msi and it'll install.

16. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon Active Member

i've had no issues with comcast. but i only have the internet, nothing else. i do, however, join you in your h8 of apple. i still have my ipod, and when it works i like it, but i had two iphones (on two different carriers), both sucked (which rules out the carriers being the issue), my ipod, as mentioned, locks up on a regular basis, and my itunes crashs and has to be completely reloaded on a regular basis. right now, i can't modify it at all (add lyrics, or likes, etc to songs, but i'm afraid to fix it for fear of it crashing and me having to relioad 15,000 songs again. although, songs are disappearing a little at a time, so eventually, there will be no music on my itunes, then i'll fix everything and have to reload the 15,000 songs anyways).

17. Brandon

I've mostly only had them for internet, cable as well years ago. But they always try and pull a fast one on you and bump up your rate, or change your plan. Customer service... isn't even there to be bad. Perfect example of a monopoly; they can be as horrible as they want since many people have zero other options. Funny part is people think Xfinity is a different company (that they also complain about) but somehow they don't know its Comcrap.

18. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon Active Member

hhhmmm. never had a rate hike (knocking on every piece of wood i can find)

Brandon likes this.
  19. Brandon

Lucky you. Mine would randomly bump up (not after the contract was up) and they say they dont offer that plan anymore. The last straw was I had no choice at my apt since that was the only thing offered and cell service sucked so no point in a hotspot so i went with them for cable. Got told a rate of $20 for however long, called back a few days later with my own modem and they said that was no longer offered even though i was told I would be fine by the first rep. Best they could do was $30. Whatever... FF a few months and my bill was suddenly $50. They said they didnt have the $30 plan anymore but they could get me down to $35. Told them to cancel it.

20. Brandon

To get this thread back on topic, and an update on an editor... Garmin Basecamp is a great program and can do all that I need it to. It takes a little getting used to since some features are more hidden than others, but its pretty powerful. AND its free!

jerdog53 likes this.