What's new

Grand Canyon Overland Routes GPX

A19pilot

Hello all. We are planning a trip to Grand Canyon in March. Any suggested routes? Anyone have or know where to obtain some GPX routes?

Brad

Administrator
I don’t have any GPX for GC. I am pretty sure the north rim will still be closed from past experience.

A19pilot

Morris when you say ill risk problems is it really muddy,etc? I risk getting stuck with no one around? Im just curious what the challenges are. Is the north rim inside the national park? Ive never been so fogive me if I am asking dumb questions.

Brad

Administrator
North rim is inside the park. There is a gate they lock on the main road to the north rim. Not sure if they block any of the other off-road routes. But again. You may be on your own if you were to get stuck. Keep in mind the average altitude on the north rim is 7k feet and they get snow.

Last edited:

Morris Yarnell

There are no dumb questions. I have been warned that the rangers do not operate in that area when the park is closed, that is what I meant by no one to help you. If you are traveling alone and the weather turns it could be that you might be unable to leave so being prepared is in your favor. Check with https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/north-rim.htm

Last edited:

A19pilot

Ah gotcha. Yeah i was telling my wife maybe we should just stick to the South rim for this trip as it will be a fairly quick one. It sounds like the north rim is more suited for overland travel in the summer. Is there some decent dipersed camping on the south side? From what i can tell u have the national park and them some blm land. I am guessing i should be able to camp there.

Morris Yarnell

No help there. I went to South rim years ago, got caught in a snow storm and the snow was so heavy it ripped the wipers off my truck. I assure you can find maps of the area but I would not plan on dispersed camping in the park itself.