What's new

How to send Email via APRS

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a writeup on how to send email to and from an APRS enabled radio. This should work with any APRS radio capable of sending messages.

System Overview:
How can someone send from one technology to another? In the case of APRS we use gateways. Gateways are hardware components setup by 3rd parties to act like a bridge between differing communication methods, in this case APRS and email. By sending a message to one of these gateways it will be retranslated to the other "side" and sent. Some of these gateways also support two way translation services so if you send an APRS message it's picked up by the gateway, translated, and sent as email and if it receives an email it's translated and sent as APRS.

_____
APRS to Email
There are currently 4 email services but we will focus on the AE5PL (EMAIL-2) gateway as it supports two way communications.

To send an email from APRS on the AE5PL engine simple send an APRS message to "EMAIL-2" with the recipients email address as the first work of the message and the rest of the message to follow. This is limited to 67 characters but does not include the message to, in this case EMAIL-2

Example:
KD0JAW-3>APRS:EMAIL-2 ben@rockymountainverlnad.com I just go into camp-no cell service.

If you want to get a little more advanced you can use Shortcuts to truncate the email address. This can help with longer email address like above to save both typing time and character count.

To create a Shortcut simply send a message to "EMAIL-2" with the Shortcut name a space and then the email address.

KD0JAW-3>APRS:EMAIL-2 me ben@rockymountainverland.com
This created a shortcut called me that will send email to ben@rockymountainverland.com.

To use a Shortcut simply send a message like normal but use your shortcut name instead of the email address.
KD0JAW-3>APRS:EMAIL-2 me I just go into camp-no cell service.

To get an email with all Shortcuts associated with an email address send a message to "EMAIL-2" with the address a space followed by a lower case L.
KD0JAW-3>APRS:EMAIL-2 ben@rockymountainverland.com L

To remove a Shortcut simply send a message to "EMAIL-2" with the shortcut name a space and a capital R.
KD0JAW-3>APRS:EMAIL-2 me R

_____
Email to APRS

The AE5PL Engine supports receiving email to translate to APRS but there are a couple requirement. First the address the email is being sent must have a Shortcut setup for it to get it into the system, the email is limited to the subject line and there is strict formating rules.

After a Shortcut is setup for that email address send an email to aprsemail2@ae5pl.net with

Subject [Call Sign][SSID]:Message
Body userid:[Shortcut]

This is what it would look like.
To: aprsemail2@ae5pl.net
Subject: KD0JAW-3:Let me know if you're safe.
Body: userid:me

Notice all colons must be in place to work correctly.

The AE5PL server will also cache emails for 24 hours in case you did not receive them. To receive all cached email sent a message to "EMAIL-2" with a get.

KD0JAW-3>APRS: EMAIL-2 get

Let me know sending and receive goes and if you have any problems.

ExplorerTom

So I think we need to get this hammered out a little better. I tried to send 2 emails to Ben when they still hadn't made it to Montrose on Monday. Reading Ige's report, they saw us not moving in the Rose Garden via APRS.FI and were about to send out search crews. Couldn't an email over APRS been sent even when voice comms weren't possible?

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
Email to APRS is a pain, I would recommend SMS it works much better and is easier. PM me for the SMSGTE phone number if you need it.

overlandjeep

Seems you wouldnt try to send an email or a sms to another APRS user use direct messaging instead, the sms and email is for communicating with non aprs users

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
Tom wasn't running APRS but was trying to get a message to use from his email to my radio.

I've been playing with Email and SMS to APRS lately. I've found that email to APRS requires more setup because of the strict format and the required alias for the sender to reduce spam through the gateway. However, once it is setup I've found it to be more reliable than SMS. SMS from APRS seems to work OK, but SMS to APRS seems to be VERY sporadic for me.

I definitely like the communication options of using APRS for messaging. But is a challenge.

hkrgal

Here is a writeup on how to send email to and from an APRS enabled radio. This should work with any APRS radio capable of sending messages.

System Overview:
How can someone send from one technology to another? In the case of APRS we use gateways. Gateways are hardware components setup by 3rd parties to act like a bridge between differing communication methods, in this case APRS and email. By sending a message to one of these gateways it will be retranslated to the other "side" and sent. Some of these gateways also support two way translation services so if you send an APRS message it's picked up by the gateway, translated, and sent as email and if it receives an email it's translated and sent as APRS.

_____
APRS to Email
There are currently 4 email services but we will focus on the AE5PL (EMAIL-2) gateway as it supports two way communications.

To send an email from APRS on the AE5PL engine simple send an APRS message to "EMAIL-2" with the recipients email address as the first work of the message and the rest of the message to follow. This is limited to 67 characters but does not include the message to, in this case EMAIL-2

Example:
KD0JAW-3>APRS:EMAIL-2 ben@rockymountainverlnad.com I just go into camp-no cell service.

If you want to get a little more advanced you can use Shortcuts to truncate the email address. This can help with longer email address like above to save both typing time and character count.

To create a Shortcut simply send a message to "EMAIL-2" with the Shortcut name a space and then the email address.

KD0JAW-3>APRS:EMAIL-2 me ben@rockymountainverland.com
This created a shortcut called me that will send email to ben@rockymountainverland.com.

To use a Shortcut simply send a message like normal but use your shortcut name instead of the email address.
KD0JAW-3>APRS:EMAIL-2 me I just go into camp-no cell service.

To get an email with all Shortcuts associated with an email address send a message to "EMAIL-2" with the address a space followed by a lower case L.
KD0JAW-3>APRS:EMAIL-2 ben@rockymountainverland.com L

To remove a Shortcut simply send a message to "EMAIL-2" with the shortcut name a space and a capital R.
KD0JAW-3>APRS:EMAIL-2 me R

_____
Email to APRS

The AE5PL Engine supports receiving email to translate to APRS but there are a couple requirement. First the address the email is being sent must have a Shortcut setup for it to get it into the system, the email is limited to the subject line and there is strict formating rules.

After a Shortcut is setup for that email address send an email to aprsemail2@ae5pl.net with

Subject [Call Sign][SSID]:Message
Body userid:[Shortcut]

This is what it would look like.
To: aprsemail2@ae5pl.net
Subject: KD0JAW-3:Let me know if you're safe.
Body: userid:me

Notice all colons must be in place to work correctly.

The AE5PL server will also cache emails for 24 hours in case you did not receive them. To receive all cached email sent a message to "EMAIL-2" with a get.

KD0JAW-3>APRS: EMAIL-2 get

Let me know sending and receive goes and if you have any problems.
Hi. Thank you for your good explanation. All went well sending emails from my aprs handheld radio, but I am not able to receive emails on my radio. I've created shortcut names for my own email and for my friend's email, but when either of us tries to send an email to my radio, the email fails to send and says, "Unable to send APRS message because Invalid Body." Can you help? Thanks.