What's new

Huron Peak Trailhead Drive - Winfield, CO

Garret S

This past weekend was going to do the Huron Peak 14er, but because of equipment malfunction (my other half forget their hiking shoes...) we didn't end up hiking, but did get in some fun offroading up to the Huron Peak trailhead (NW slope route).
From Denver:
I-70 from Denver and Hwy 91 to Leadville. A little past Leadville, take the turn off the highway to Windfield, CO on dirt road 390. Fun dirt road to dirve along, not bad washboard, mostly smooth.
Winfield, CO: Sweet abandoned mine, and a campground. basically you take 390 as far as you can, and go through Winfield, through the 2wd parking lot, and to the 4wd trail.
Honestly, this trail was a TON of fun, not a lot of rocks or anything. TONS of dispersed camping along the 4wd trail. We were up there at 4 am on Saturday morning and there were still tons of spots.
The trail from Winfield to the Huron Peak trailhead is actually the continental divide, which is cool.
My truck easily made it, and there were some lower subarus and small jeeps who made it through the trail to the trail head. There is good hiking and fishing there, so you don't have to hike the 14er.

Here are a couple pics:
PicsArt_08-06-04.27.01.jpg

IMG_20170805_073031.jpg

REDONE

If I hadn't been up in the woods for 3 of the last 5 weekends, I might be jealous! Thanks for sharing, it looks like a fun adventure!