What's new

July 19 -21st : Trip planning

Wes

UPDATE : 7-19

Ham Radio Comms
Primary 146.550 - Secondary 146.580

People plan to leave at different times.
I’m calling Donna when I head out. But looks like most people are leaving around 6

Plans are solid :

Road we are camping off of :

Camping Here :

Rolling on these two trails on saturday. Maybe some others in the afternoon

1. TOPAZ Mountain :

2. Banana Peel

- Make sure you gas is topped off
- warm cloths .. its higher elevation could be cold
- some extra cloths to get smokey around the fire
- food
- coffee
etc...

Last edited:

Donna Spinelli

There are about 5 of us planning to head out July 19th...

Here are a few options..

1. Arrive on location and stay there and just relax - explore in our vehicles / bikes / hikes etc...

2. Arrive at location 1... Camp friday night ... wake up and head out around 10am to location 2..
- explore location 2 and just mess around . I may bring my mountain bike.

3. There are about 4 awesome camp sites in a row that we can use. I dont think many people know about it because its not really off of a road.
- camp here firday
- 14 min walk to river
- awesome hiking and some exploring to do in our vehicles.

====

1. Location : Jefferson

2. Location : There are about 6 spots around here that are good. If we do this option. I may head out friday morning to make sure I obtain the position before everyone heads out on the weekend.
- location 1 : Camp here and maybe mess around at the river friday night and head out saturday morning

- onto Saturdays fun location : South Fourmile ... or we can camp around 4 mile but I have never been to the north part.
There are many camp spots but this one is pretty cool. We can make this spot Saturday before lunch.

3. location : 11 mile canyon -> off of road 393
- you do not have to pay for the day pass because you will not be spending the day here. If you plan to use the restrooms / park and enjoy the river then pay fo the pass ... $7 a day
- The camping spots are around this location. I will have my HAM radio turned onto the frequency of the group. Also my cell phone works here mostly. You can call me when you arive for the exact location.
- - You have to go to this location and then turn right. Drive past a few camping spots then drive up and over an exposed part of the mountain. (easy..any truck /suv can handle this) ... there is another camp spot over the exposed mountain top. Take a left (there is a road but barely visible) and drive down the mountain and you will see the first of 4 camp spots. Those will be the four will will take. Headquarters will be the SECOND spot. Its the largest. But gives us room to spread out.
I’m in. My cell is 970.471.4071. Donna@vail.net

Reactions: Wes

Donna Spinelli

Wes would you please give me a call at 970 471 4071. I am coming from Eagle and would like to meet you closer to where we're going than Indian Hills. Perhaps at the camp site? Also I'm not clear how much wheeling you're doing as it kind of sounds like a lot of hanging out at camp and I'd like to understand the route better. Thank you.

Wes

Wes would you please give me a call at 970 471 4071. I am coming from Eagle and would like to meet you closer to where we're going than Indian Hills. Perhaps at the camp site? Also I'm not clear how much wheeling you're doing as it kind of sounds like a lot of hanging out at camp and I'd like to understand the route better. Thank you.
Sure I can call you this afternoon.
Really there are no plans. Mostly going to wing it :)

Wes

Trip was a success ..

Some rain, I left early for brownie points.. but all in all SUCCESS!

Great people and great fun!
Topaz Mountain 4x4 trail was a great setup up from what I am use to and was awesome! We found some new great camping spots!

Ken, Dan, Daniel (+ family), Jason, Silvester, My Self (wes), Diesel Dan (double D) ... great group.

Instagram pics under denveroverlander ...
Silverster took some amazing drone shots.

Thanks everyone for a great time!