What's new

June 2-5

ExplorerTom

I don't have anything planned but am looking to get out that weekend. I could wait until June 3rd but I was thinking leaving Thursday after work. Be back Sunday sometime.

Me and my 2 dogs in my Expedition. Too much snow up too high so looking at doing easy stuff down low- plus Expedition isn't nearly as expedition ready as the name implies.

Throw out any ideas- even if you can't make it. Even Kokopelli minus Rose Garden (and Top of the World) is on the table.

Odomandr

Rock therapy is going on in moab.I'd vouch for you being a good guy but the other Toyota owners might give you some gaff though not as much if it were a jeep

ExplorerTom

Last bump.

I think leaving Thursday night is too aggressive, so my plan is to leave early Friday morning. Drive to Montrose via the 285 route.

I've been seeing updates of the trail via the Expedition Colorado Facebook page. Looks doable in 2 days (could probably be done in a single day if Wheelman is driving). There is a river crossing near Nutrita, CO that is high but Frontiers and Xterras with 33s have crossed with no problem. And there is a rock blocking the trail near the border. But alt routes can be used.

Brandon

I might be interested... I've heard about it but haven't done any research.
Where'd you grab the kml file from?

Odomandr

Everyone I know finished it without any issue. Looks like you are as up to date as I am on it Tom. Enjoy, I think I'll wait a bit later with that crossing

ExplorerTom

If I was taking my Explorer I wouldn't be worried at all about the river crossing- not because of the snorkel, but because of its clearance. The Expedition sits a little (ok: a lot) lower. Watching where the water came up to the tires of the rigs in the videos...... And there appears to be a hole on the same side as my Expedition's intake..... I'll at least get eyeballs on it (throw a few rocks) and make my decision.

Brandon

I want to go just to play in the water and get my truck washed!

You planning a crazy early departure or morning-ish?

ExplorerTom

Depends on what you call "crazy". It's 5 hours to Montrose (or so). I'd like to have a late lunch on the trail. Figure on leaving my house around 7-7:15. You live ever so slightly closer.

Sound good to you?

Brandon

Depends on what you call "crazy". It's 5 hours to Montrose (or so). I'd like to have a late lunch on the trail. Figure on leaving my house around 7-7:15. You live ever so slightly closer.

Sound good to you?
Yeah i don't mind either way, was just wondering. My brother and cousin might be stopping by on their way to cali on Thursday night, so just trying to see what their plans are. I think they are going to be somewhat in a hurry though so I don't need to stick around and i just saw them a few weeks ago.

ExplorerTom

Very probable change in plans: Explorer might be getting called up. This trail is certainly nothing that my Expedition can't handle, but the Explorer is better set up.

Brandon

Still waiting to hear what their plans are... if they were just going to stay the night, or if they wanted to explore on Friday. But should know tomorrow what they are doing and if I'll be rolling out with you. A good thing about going is that carwash... i mean river crossing. I need to find one that is close that I can hit up on the way home from playing in the dirt. :)

Brandon

Ok, I'm in. Gonna be creating a new GPX file of it while we're out there.

Wanna just meet at the Fort restaurant north of 285... first exit past 470. Name the time.
19192 CO-8, Morrison, CO 80465

Unless you had somewhere else in mind.

ExplorerTom

So the Rim Rocker is in the books. You could also call it the "Teeth Rattler" or the "Bone Shaker". Lots of washboard and rocks.

But as a tease before the official write up: if you left Montrose early morning in a Ford Escape or other crossover, you could make it to Moab before sunset. If you had the conditions we had, which was: no one on the trail to speak of and dry conditions. If it was muddy..... totally different story. We ran the trail in its entirety: through the river and passed the rock.