What's new

Loading maps onto a GPS unit

Clymber

I recently got a Garmin Montana 600 and was wondering if anyone has any idea how to load maps form traildamage.com onto there. I know there is one guy on here that is addicted to traildamage and is also a geek but can't remember his name.

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
It's pretty easy. Download Garmin Basecamp (http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp) and then download the GPX file for the trail from Traildamage. Import the GPX into Basecamp and then you can transfer the file to the Montana.

I spent the time and imported all the trails so when I'm in Basecamp I can see every trail they have. It's a pretty good system.

Both Jerry and I use Basecamp and Jerry also has a Montana so if that doesn't work let us know.

jerdog53

Funny I loaded a few routes on Friday in preparation for our exploratory trip on Saturday but did not check the Montana after the fact. Here we are two hours form the house and I turn on the Montana and there isn't one map on the unit! Not one! Just a blank screen with the little LR3 and the north arrow to guide me. I was pissed! Lesson learned, check your equipment before leaving! I still don't know what happend.

Clymber

Mental note ask Jerry for help with this he now knows what NOT to do
one less possible failure on my part then

Clymber

Nope not yet. All I have done so far is add in the road maps for the USA. There are some things I want to add on that I haven't yet