What's new

Looking for 255/85/16 tires

Clymber

im in the process of looking for some new tires. I want to go from 285/75/16 to 255/85/16. From the searching so far it seems like it's a total odd ball size. I'm hoping if I go narrower it will end the rubbing I have going on. Does anyone have any suggestion on a tire that's good in that size.

nuclearlemon

i've got one good for a spare and would sell the best of five that i've got, they're swampers trxus mts. not a lot of life left tho :(

GerberBaby

If your looking for a true mud then the bfg m/t's come in that size, I've heard it's harder to align those but the traction is amazing. And if your looking more for an all terrain cooper came out with that size in there discoverer s/t's a year ago and so far I haven't heard a bad thing about them.

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
I have the Cooper S/T Maxx and like them a lot. They are fairly quite, ride well, and seem to have a good tread life. They have chunked out on me a little but so far nothing too bad.

Clymber

I don't have them I was thinking of getting them since my current tires are about at the end of their life span

Brandon

Probably not for everyone but I get my tires from Treadwright. Lots of choices.
I've purchased from there as well and had a good experience with the set I put on my Silverado. Balanced just like new, tire place didn't know they were retreads until I told them and I beat them up pretty well. If I had to buy new tires, they would be one of the first places I checked.

sherpa

I have the Cooper S/T Maxx tires in 255/80/17 and they've been great. It's one of the options in the 255/85/16 size. While it's an A/T tire, it has a fairly aggressive tread that is more like a M/T. Keep in mind that it's a load range E rated tire.

DaVikes

Hello Sherpa, welcome to RMO. I tried squinting and I still can't figure out what kind of truck you have. Re the tires, I'm curious how they compare to Duratracs. Any experience with them?

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have any personal experience with either but I did read a lot of good things about the S/T Maxx. I was going to go with it for the Jeep but it didn't come in my size. If you are looking for an aggressive AT opposed to a MT I think it's the way to go.

sherpa

Hi all. I'll try to get out to one of the meet and greet events at some point.

> I tried squinting and I still can't figure out what kind of truck you have.

That's a '97 Land Cruiser turbodiesel with 35-inch tires we drove in Iceland the last time we were there. But my truck is actually a 2008 Toyota FJ.

> Re the tires, I'm curious how they compare to Duratracs. Any experience with them?

I've no experience with the Duratracs...

jr7ski

Lew, did you get your 255/85R16 tires? I am looking right now and can't find anything local other than KM2s.

Clymber

Lew, did you get your 255/85R16 tires? I am looking right now and can't find anything local other than KM2s.
Yea I got a set. I went with Maxxis Bighorn. I got them at DLS (I think) in Boulder. Just as a warning that size is a pain in the ass to find and most of the places I went to tried to talk me out of that size. I think out the door it was $1100 ish for 5

Morris Yarnell

Just put Duratracs on the LR. They are 255/55/19...LR has big wheels.
I will let you know how they do off road. On road they are very quiet and seem to do well in snow and packed snow on the city streets.

Brandon

Just put Duratracs on the LR. They are 255/55/19...LR has big wheels.
I will let you know how they do off road. On road they are very quiet and seem to do well in snow and packed snow on the city streets.
I'm liking my Duratracs so far. Just in snow and ice they work great. I haven't tried them off-road yet, but hopefully soon.

Clymber

so far the tires have been pretty good for me. I have only been stuck once with them but that was because of our stupidity and trying to open Weston Pass. The road noise isnt bad at all in my opinion. Most peoples complaint is that they are not wide enough but I dont do all that much rock crawling to worry about the width. I have dont a trip to Grand Mesa and also a week in Wyoming and had no real issues. My MPG hasnt really changed going from the 275/85 that i had before these. The size is sort of difficult to find and a little pricey compared to other tires out there, i even had one tire shop tell me that i didnt want that size and they are only for dually trucks needless to say i didnt get them from that shop