What's new

Maxtrax Alternatives

wpsfan

I've read the review on here about the Smittybilt's being junk, but there are a few other alternatives that I've seen mentioned on Expo forum. Anyone tried any of these? Reviews are extremely positive on Amazon and I didn't read anything negative on Expo.

http://www.amazon.com/Innovations-20333-Escaper-Orange-Traction/dp/B00AV2HONS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450830582&sr=8-1&keywords=maxtrax - Definitely a knockoff, less than half the price. Overall great reviews on Amazon. Haven't checked elsewhere online for reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/GoTreads-Emergency-Automotive-Traction-Tool/dp/B00LGXH5OY/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1450830838&sr=8-17&keywords=traction+mat - Made in USA, one Expo member has used these in almost every environment with success and has spoken to the company owner who's also an off-roader. Company owner says they are not a replacement for Maxtrax but do well and great for someone looking for something smaller to stow under their seat or so.

http://www.amazon.com/RUSTIK-4x4-EBUDDY19-Universal-Lightweight/dp/B00VRZG1ZU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1450830640&sr=8-4&keywords=traction+mat - Another knockoff. Just found these, know nothing about them. The 2 reviews on Amazon are 5*, can't find anything else online about them though. These have carrying handles like the Maxtrax.

Feel free to post others you find or share reviews of your own. I know some people are partial to the "originals", nothing wrong with that but doesn't hurt to discuss alternatives.

nuclearlemon

i figure that the maxtrax company did all the r&d to develop a product that worked, so i will support them over trailgear like companies that do nothing but send crap to china to be built to a potentially inferior quality.

Brad

Administrator
I skipped the other brands and went straight for maxtraxx. That being said I love to hear other experiences with products.

wpsfan

i figure that the maxtrax company did all the r&d to develop a product that worked, so i will support them over trailgear like companies that do nothing but send crap to china to be built to a potentially inferior quality.
Nothing wrong with that at all, definitely a respectable thing to do. It's not realistic to do with everything, so I don't pick and choose. I'm sure we've all bought t-shirts knowing that were likely made in a Chinese sweat shop, while also knowing that there are smaller domestic clothing companies out there which are much more expensive, yet do their own R&D and develop a better product.

wpsfan

Edit: Scratch that, the 3rd link is an older design which is flat, 1st link is the newer design with raised tracks. Same company.

So I just realized that the 1st and 3rd link are the exact same product with a different name, but 3rd link is $50 cheaper. So the solid reviews carry over to it. I'm going to order, if they're worthless it's a $100 lesson learned and I'll pick up Maxtrax.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Keep your eyes/ears open for a group buy for MaxTrax. I got mine from a GB on Tacomaworld.com (and I don't even have a Taco).

Clymber

the cheapest i found so far is to go with someone who has a set ZERO money out and they will be more than willing to laugh at you while you try to get out of whatever you just screwed yourself on

that being said I have a set and im thinking of getting a 2nd just in case i get REALLY stuck

We got a set of traction boards in the other day from Rugged Ridge that seem pretty solid. They come with a 5 year warranty and includes a foldable shovel. Price is about half of the MaxTrax. Haven't personally tested them but like I said seem pretty solid. Just passing along the info even though this post is a few years old for anyone still checking it out. Hope it helps. BTW MaxTrax are a great product.