What's new

Mid Week Adventure

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
Last week I had a little time off so Erin and I decided to hit the trails for a couple days.

The plan was to leave early afternoon on Tuesday so I got the Jeep all packed and ready to go.

IMG_5143.jpg

Unfortunately Erin didn’t make it home until 5pm so we had to battle rush hour traffic getting out of town.

Since it was getting late we decided to duck into Slaughterhouse for the night. Not too far into the trail was a buck with a nice rack. He didn’t seem to care we stopped and watched him until I pulled out the camera. He didn’t want his picture taken so decided to exit stage left.

IMG_5145.jpg

Right after the trail splits into the loop we ran into a slight problem.

IMG_5146.jpg

I’m not sure where it came from but it was too big for me to move on my own. I could of squeezed around it but decided just to clear it myself

IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

I ran a snatch block off a tree to pull it to the side. Don’t worry, after I got things rigged I moved the Jeep forward so the line wouldn’t hit the tree.

IMG_5160.jpg

And with a little mechanical advantage help the rock was off the trail.

IMG_5164.jpg

IMG_5165.jpg

IMG_5169.jpg

We made camp for the night next to a cliff wall and settled in.

IMG_5173.jpg

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
The next day we motored over to Red Cone. An earlier sign said Red Cone was open but it said Webster was still closed.

IMG_5175.jpg

When we finally broke above treeline it because a race between getting to the top and the storm that was quickly approaching. I didn’t have much iterance in sliding down Red Cone in the rain.

IMG_5176.jpg

Of course we still had time to top and smell the flowers.

IMG_5189.jpg

IMG_5190.jpg

When we got to the top of Red Cone another JK was their getting ready to for the decent. It was his first time on the hill and had the same thought as me, get down before the rain really hit.

IMG_5193.jpg

IMG_5192.jpg

You can see the ridge you run before meeting up with Webster.

IMG_5191.jpg

After giving our JK friend ample time we started our decent.

IMG_5197.jpg

It’s not the bad of an angle but I like hanging off my seatbelt.

IMG_5199.jpg

First decent is done, now it’s just a quick climb and one more down angle.

IMG_5202.jpg

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
When we met up with Webster it was very obvious why it was closed. The snow bank was huge and wasn’t going away anytime soon.

IMG_5204.jpg

A shot looking back on Red Cone

IMG_5206.jpg

And Erin happy to be alive (although she really wasn’t worried)

IMG_5211.jpg

Now that we made it through the steep stuff before the rain hit, it was time to press on.

IMG_5214.jpg

There was a nice waterfall from the snow run off.

IMG_5216.jpg

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
We also saw an old cabin well above tree line; this is also where things got a little slick.

IMG_5218.jpg

There was a snow drift with a narrow area but I thought we could make it if I spotted Erin.

IMG_5220.jpg

Unfortunately the angle was just steep enough and the rain made it just slick enough we slid off the trail.

IMG_5221.jpg

What I really wanted was to go backwards so I could hit the line again but it was too slick even with lockers and no one behind me to give a hand. We ended up setting the pull pall up the trail and did an angle pull to get back on. Since it was raining and we really wanted to get back on level ground we didn’t take any picutres.

Of course when we started getting all the gear put away another Jeep comes tooling up behind us. There were two couples from Illinois that rented a Jeep for the day. Not having adequate clothing or recovery gear they were more then happy to take some help getting through the section.

IMG_5222.jpg

We ended up digging a trough on the up side and lining it with Maxtraxx to keep them from sliding anywere.

Like magic it worked and the moved through the snow bank problem free.

IMG_5225.jpg

IMG_5228.jpg

Of course just as we get down into the trees the rain stopped and the sun came out. We hit a ghost town before continuing on.

IMG_5232.jpg

IMG_5234.jpg

We decide to take a short cut off the mountain and tried SOB Hill. If you miss the turn off to SOB, which is very easy to do, you end up at some mine ruins.

IMG_5237.jpg

IMG_5239.jpg

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
After back tracking we started up the hill. SOB is called that for a reason. It’s full of large rocks and small boulders. The trail changes from year to year as the rock shift. We got about halfway up the first section when I caught a rock and sheered the end of the valve steam off one of the wheels.

IMG_5278.jpg

It was then that I realized it was late, raining, we weighed a ton with all the camping gear, and we didn’t have another vehicle with us so I took the valve steam as a warning and backed down. Luckily it didn’t take out the core and still held air.

The bypass from Swan River to Georgia Pass has a super sketchy bridge.

IMG_5241.jpg

We opted for the water crossing next to it.

IMG_5242.jpg

We climbed to Georgia Pass and the continental divide. Surprisingly I could get internet and the weather map showed 3 more unfriendly storm cell rolling straight towards us. We could see where the storms tapered out so decided to head south and get away from the cold rain.

We drove through Fairplay and considered a warmer option but pressed on instead.

IMG_5244.jpg

We ended up finding a quite spot on Weston Pass that was dry and relatively warm. The next morning we went over Break Neck Pass, which was actually very nice.

Without a real agenda we could explore forest roads and spurs. We ended up at an old mine.

IMG_5245.jpg

IMG_5248.jpg

Of course Erin and to sneak into a shot as well.

IMG_5257.jpg

It looks like the Forest Service plans on cleaning up this one.

IMG_5252.jpg

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
Heading up to the pass we hit another ghost town.

IMG_5258.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

IMG_5263.jpg

IMG_5266.jpg

Break Neck Pass dropped us back into Fairplay.

IMG_5267.jpg

There is a neat old building in the middle of town but we didn’t stop long enough to see what it was.

IMG_5270.jpg

The plan was to head over Mosquito Pass but it was still closed so we ended up heading up Boreas Pass. Originally the road was an old rail line, the first to reach Leadville non-stop from Denver. At the pass some of the building are still standing that the railroad workers stayed in to operate the station.

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5272.jpg

You can still see the tree stumps from where they harvested wood for the rail ties.

IMG_5277.jpg

We took a spur and ended up close to the top of one of the mountains.

IMG_5274.jpg

From there we took Pennsylvania Gulch over to the main road and headed up to Breckenridge. We called it a day made our way onto I-70 before returning home.

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
I thought no the slippery spot was on Deer Creek but it all blends together.

It was the first time on Red Cone and I thought the decent was fairly mild compared to the hype.

I was also surprised the climb up was as rocky as it was. A stock vehicle can make it but there are going to be some rocks to work around. I wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped the bottom as well.

On the other hand we were moving quick to beat the storm and if I slowed down I'm sure it wouldn't be as bad.