What's new

Moab May 24-28 2018

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
Planning a backcountry trip with few spaces as we will be camping in dispersed areas on either the southern area by needles or the new area In the funtreks book up by I-70 including little Grand Canyon and a few other trails. Nothing extreme but very scenic. This is still in planning phase so no specifics yet. Just wanted to toss it out there. If your looking for central Moab trails this is not the trip for you. ;)

Post up in your interested!

***Updated Plan***
San Rafael swell trip

I know I called this a Moab trip, it is actually going to the San Rafael swell west of Moab. It is located approximately 30 miles west of Green River and includes the wedge overlook (aka little Grand Canyon) and several other historic trails. I have driven by these probably 50 times and not known they were there.

When:

Wednesday: May 23rd leaving about 6pm to reach grand junction to grab a hotel prior to heading out to the wedge overlook on Thursday the 24th. Returning Monday the 28th. Technically we will be grouping up Thursday morning in Grand Junction at the Safeway on Horizon drive at 8am, in case you want to skip staying the night Wednesday.

Thursday: Depart grand junction and head to green river to top up fuel before heading to buckhorn draw/wedge overlook. Out by the overlook there are a few large designated camping areas, I would like to grab one, then we can check out the overlook in 2 groups.

Friday: pack up camp and head out buckhorn draw and cross south of I-70 and running Swasey cabin trail. This trail is slightly more difficult but still easy. After we will seek camp at Taylor flat where we will also stay Saturday night. Taylor flat is a large open area with several dispersed camping areas.

Saturday: Reds Canyon trail. Another easy scenic trail with mine areas and a ghost town to explore then back to Taylor flat.

Sunday: Head to goblin valley and check out the Hoodoo’s. There is camping around the back of the canyon which is dispersed.

Monday: Pack up and head home.

There are 2 optional more difficult trails called Devils racetrack and Behind the reef. After researching and talking to some who want to attend this trip I have chosen not to schedule these trails. If you come along and want to run these please feel free. Let me know so I know who is going where.

All of these trails are listed in the back of the newer funtreks Moab guide book. I am limiting this group to 6 rigs including myself. You will need to be self sufficient. There are sporadic facilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExplorerTom

Interested.

Just drove through on our way to CA. It was the first time I've been west of the Moab turnoff since after I was in 2nd grade. Beautiful place. We pulled over several times to check out the views.

REDONE

You know, an ambitious sort could have one heck of an overland vacation by taking my spring trip and then immediately jumping onto yours. From San Luis, they could spend a few nights at 11 Mile SP or Paonia SP, then Silvan Lake (provided they could weather the potential cold), then join up with you for Utah.

I'm still hoping to get a Uintah Utah exploration trip planned at some point. Find a way up the Bookcliffs on the Utah side*, find out what "Big Park" Utah is and why it's marked on Google Maps even though it doesn't exist elsewhere. Maybe explore the abandoned Green River missile range, look for homestead ruins around Ouray, UT ( not to be confused with Ouray, CO).
*- I attempted once from the North and twice from the south, always hit a locked gate. I've told the story before here:
http://www.rockymountainoverland.com/forum/index.php?threads/big-park-utah.1114/

Last edited:

Morris Yarnell

I was thinking about being an ambitious sort as the whole month is open for me and I really am going to crave seeing the back country in the spring. Since I have decided (after careful consideration) not to attend OX this year, thinking I prefer something that is not so commercial.

REDONE

I know exactly what you mean Morris. I like the concept of conventions and trade shows, they're great for getting new ideas and you can learn a lot, as well as supporting an industry that supports our activities! To me, the execution of OX just seems antithetical, it should be a big wing of the Sportmans Expo during the middle of the off season, not it's own thing during opening weekend of the adventure season. I'm not putting down anyone who is going, I bet it's gonna be awesome! I just like my adventures to be a break from busy crowds and megaphones and banners blasting the word "BUY! BUY! BUY!" in my face, I get enough of that living my regular life.

Last edited:

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
This is a possible no go for me. Had some big expenses recently and we may scrub this idea. Will know more next month.

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
Ok. After checking am deciding this is definitely a go but will only have room for 3 other rigs max. Will have a complete planning details by Sunday night.

Morris Yarnell

Definitely let me know. I await your plan details. I had explored the idea of going to OX since both the May adventures seemed to have been canceled. Since your adventure seems to be back on the table, I am still interested as two trips back to back might be a bit too much for me to undertake, strictly from the expense angle.

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
Little too busy over the weekend. I am finishing up some research and should have more info available soon.

Sylvester C.

Hey guys! I am interested in this trip. I am new to the group, I just attended the first meet up and had a blast! It was to meet all of you! following!

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
San Rafael swell trip

I know I called this a Moab trip, it is actually going to the San Rafael swell west of Moab. It is located approximately 30 miles west of Green River and includes the wedge overlook (aka little Grand Canyon) and several other historic trails. I have driven by these probably 50 times and not known they were there.

When:

Wednesday: May 23rd leaving about 6pm to reach grand junction to grab a hotel prior to heading out to the wedge overlook on Thursday the 24th. Returning Monday the 28th. Technically we will be grouping up Thursday morning in Grand Junction at the Safeway on Horizon drive at 8am, in case you want to skip staying the night Wednesday.

E46A107A-45E6-451A-9B54-B0F1CE78988F.jpeg

Thursday: Depart grand junction and head to green river to top up fuel before heading to buckhorn draw/wedge overlook. Out by the overlook there are a few large designated camping areas, I would like to grab one, then we can check out the overlook in 2 groups.

1C855170-F23F-405A-A715-2DAC4F8874C6.jpeg

Friday: pack up camp and head out buckhorn draw and cross south of I-70 and running Swasey cabin trail. This trail is slightly more difficult but still easy. After we will seek camp at Taylor flat where we will also stay Saturday night. Taylor flat is a large open area with several dispersed camping areas.

1A6F257F-6DA8-47FC-965D-5F9D019F88C8.jpeg

Saturday: Reds Canyon trail. Another easy scenic trail with mine areas and a ghost town to explore then back to Taylor flat.

B98A1333-72A4-4F08-B35A-EB3B59E78E02.jpeg

Sunday: Head to goblin valley and check out the Hoodoo’s. There is camping around the back of the canyon which is dispersed.

Monday: Pack up and head home.

There are 2 optional more difficult trails called Devils racetrack and Behind the reef. After researching and talking to some who want to attend this trip I have chosen not to schedule these trails. If you come along and want to run these please feel free. Let me know so I know who is going where.

All of these trails are listed in the back of the newer funtreks Moab guide book. I am limiting this group to 6 rigs including myself. You will need to be self sufficient. There are sporadic facilities.

ExplorerTom

Sounds like an awesome trip. I might be in Moab with the family doing a bunch of non-4wheeling things that weekend: arches, caves, waterfalls....

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like this already filled up, after looking at the potential camping areas (which are vast) please chime in here if your interested still but aren’t able to sign up. I am also looking into additional activities during the trip including some potential slot canyon hikes.

jr7ski

It is not as bad as EJS, GoneMoab usually attracts between 100-150 rigs if I remember correctly.