What's new

MOAB Trip Planning - Oct 2017

Garret S

Hey Everyone! This is my first post, as I am a noob overlander, but am starting to get my truck built to tackle these fun adventures.
I am planning a MOAB 4wd and camping trip from Denver, where I live. Tentative planning will put the trip as a 4 day weekend trip from Oct 12-15th. Just wanted to pick everyone's brain about any tips/hacks to making the MOAB trip successful, and also see if anyone would want to go along with.

I am going to try and attend the meet and greet on august 8th, be my first time going to one, hope to meet some cool people who do this awesome hobby!

Swank1975

The wife and I might be down as we've had to cancel our Yosemite trip in August. This might help makeup for it. I'm a MOAB noob though.

Morris Yarnell

Timing seems right as far as weather goes. At this moment, very interested. We can chat at the MNG about your possible route and camping locations.

ExplorerTom

I really enjoyed the Kokpelli Trail to get to Moab. The Rim Rocker Trail is OK but faster to get there.

Once in Moab...... tons of trails. Mild to wild. My first real trail in Moab was Hell's Revenge. It's a good intro into what driving on slick rock is like. All the obstacles are optional. 7 Mile Creek is another good one. This one has some cliffs you can get near (or not if you don't want to) and has an arch. This trail also has a feature called the Silver Crack- it's like the Golden Crack, but smaller.

Morris Yarnell

Garret S

Yeah the timing is strategic because I prefer not to melt when I am camping in the desert.
Timing seems right as far as weather goes. At this moment, very interested. We can chat at the MNG about your possible route and camping locations.
Tom, those are great recommendations, and I have looked at 7 mile as one of the trails I want to do. I came accross this great website that goes over the rating and difficulty for all the trails in MOAB, its very useful. http://www.rr4w.com/Trails-Home.cfm

Also, will probably do as much free camping as possible, no need to pay for it, there is SOOO much land out there. I have been using this website as 1 of my many sources for where to camp. http://www.discovermoab.com/campgrounds_blm.htm

Morris Yarnell

One of your links is to EJS site and it looks as if you are driving some sort of truck, can't tell form the avatar. Are you planning to take Jeep trails?
Be prepared for some vehicle damage on trails like Sevenmile. It is rated as difficult in some books on Moab.

Last edited:

Garret S

One of your links is to EJS site and it looks as if you are driving some sort of truck, can't tell form the avatar. Are you planning to take Jeep trails?
Be prepared for some vehicle damage on trails like Sevenmile. It is rated as difficult in some books on Moab.
Yes, i do drive a full size truck.

So mostly I will be sticking to Level 3-5 rated jeep trails. Seven Mile is only rated a 4, but I am aware that some body damage might happen. I have noted a couple trails such as Fins and Things, that I have watched videos of people with stock vehicles take up, and they did them just fine.

ExplorerTom

One of the rigs in my group was a stock Classic Cherokee on 31" snow tires. 7 Mile was no problem for him.

Top of the World is also another good trail. That's the one where people drive their rigs out on that cantilevered rock and take a picture from the right side.