What's new

Overland Journal Tire Review

ExplorerTom

Clearly. They can't test every tire. Some made the cut, some didn't. The Duratrac being one that didn't make it. According to the comments on the FaceBook post, OJ said that they feel the Duratrac is too aggressive and more of a hybrid tire and doesn't belong in the same test as other A/T tires.

Clymber

I hate having to many choices when looking at stuff, maybe at Expo BFG will have a good deal on tires and they can make my choice easier

D67

After almost ten years on a set of BFG AT/KO, their assessment felt...validating. The Cooper's microsiping probably makes a big difference in the outcome, and it's offered up to a 315/75R16. It might not survive being pushed by a driver at the wheel of a more rock-oriented build on a difficult trail, but for the target demographic, and even many of the trips I've taken which often include majority highway driving and lighter offroad, it sounds like it would do the job admirably. These days the truck wears Interco, but those big lugs are a handful if they aren't carved up.

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
My 95 disco has BFG MT KM2's and until they got to 50% tread they were pretty amazing. The traction has slipped off pretty bad. I do love the tire though.

My 98 Disco has duratracs and they are the best overall tire I have wheeled. Good on all road conditions. Little slippage in fins and things in moab but a lot better on ice.

We recently had a vehicle in with the new AT and they looked pretty nice. Little more side wall traction but it looked more cosmetic than purposeful.

sherpa

I did quite a bit of research before settling on Cooper S/T Maxx tires for my FJ. They're load range E & pretty stiff, but the tread pattern is much more aggressive than the typical A/T-- it sits somewhere between an A/T and an M/T. They've been super quiet on the road and have done really well on the trail. And while they've packed up a bit in the sticky mud where a true M/T would shine, they clear out really easily. And the nice bonus is that they were quite a bit cheaper than anything BFG had to offer in similar sizes, including the new 34x10.5 KO2.

Aaron Brown

Another tire that was left out is the Firestone Destination AT's. I would recommend this tire to anyone that needs an AT tire. I've wheeled it on multiple Cherokees and a Tacoma. The traction and wear balance is great. Traction continues almost to pull point. I've been very impressed. Full disclosure I do work for Bridgestone which owns Firestone. I thought the article in discussion was a good review of the tires that were in the test. I do know the Falcon wears very quick and looses traction pretty fast as the tire wears. The lugs turn into ribs. Hope this helps.

ExplorerTom

While on the Paradox Trail this weekend we ran into some mud- OK, a lot of mud. I was the only one on an A/T tire (BFG KO) but everyone's tires were fully loaded up. The M/Ts weren't shedding the mud at the speeds we were seeing. Other than some occasional sideways action by several different vehicles, no one had problems while I was there.

ExplorerTom

Like I said: "while I was there". I figured the fecal matter hit the rotating assembly to cause you guys to take as long as you did to get to Montrose.