What's new

Rimrocker Trail Experience?

ExplorerTom

Yes. I've run it. Might even be a trip report on here somewhere.

We gassed up in Montrose and then again in Moab. And I don't recall ever being worried about needing fuel- although I did have my additional 5 gallons on the bumper. We left Montrose around 12:30. Made camp near the CO/UT border around 8:00. Broke camp around 8:00 the next morning and were in Moab around noon. While we were flying at times, we were also logging the route for trailsoffroad.com so we were stopping and taking pictures and notes. And when I say "we" I really mean Brandon.

Last year, the trail was still blocked by snow not too far outside of Montrose toward the end of May. We ran it about the first week of June and there was still some snow off to the side of the road, but nothing on the road.

When we ran it, it was bone dry- and super dusty. I figured my wife's Escape could have handled it. But if it was muddy- it would have been fun (nightmare).

Jim

Tom - thanks for the info. My search here found zip.
I'd be on fumes after 160 miles with the FJ60. Hope to have a jerry can carrier soon.
I'm signed up with trailsoffroad and just flat forgot about it. I'll poke around over there.
Man you must have been flying part of the time

ExplorerTom

Man you must have been flying part of the time
Brandon has never been one to shy away from the skinny pedal. And I don't mind it either- when the conditions allow for it. And when we ran it, the conditions allowed for it. Much of the trail is just a dirt road- and some of it was smooth dirt.

There were a few sections with some rocks on the road that forced speeds down. But it's 2wd or 4hi type of driving 95% of the time.

Jim

Thx for the TR link as well.
I tend to keep it slow. Like the Land Rover school teaches: "Go as slow as you can, but as fast as you must."