What's new

Rocky Mountain Overland Forum v. Meetup notifications

Folks,

I keep getting meetup notifications, replies, and now a photo from the gathering last night. While meetup may provide some sort of ease (which i doubt frankly) of planning an event, i'm guessing the comments, photos, etc. related to that event only go to those that had RSVP'd for the gathering.

while that may be your intent, folks that didn't go to the meetup may enjoy comments and photos from the gathering, much like the bonanza trip report on the forum and not on meetup.

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the thoughts David, the problem we are running into is there are some people who are on meetup and not the forum and vis-versa. My wife, for example, posted the picture on meetup and she really doesn't like forums. I'm more of a forum guy and post everything here. My guess is for trips there will always be trip reports here and maybe on someone will post something on meetup.

right--that's exactly my point--there's an inadvertent (maybe) two-front setup of information that results in certain group members getting content and other group members not getting that content. for instance, for me, meetup was so infuriating sending constant emails i was just about to cancel it and just wing it from that point on but managed to figure out settings where it's not sending me many emails per day

Well, certainly the easiest and most simple is to get rid of meetup, but then this is your site, not mine, and i'm not here to dictate what's what. My point is simply that content the entire forum might enjoy simply only goes to folks that have RSVP'd on that meetup when replies and photos are posted on the meetup, and that may be of interest to you as the administrator. since i'm the only one chiming in, this is likely much ado about nothing.

over the years i've been to many functions that were organized on various forums without the need for a meetup subscription--people knew where they were going, managed to find their way, and provided an accurate headcount if needed. You simply start a thread in the events forum "July Gathering at Odyssey, XX/XX/XX" and folks chime in. then, if there are post meeting photos, comments, etc., it's all contained within the thread.

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
I thought about getting rid of the Meetup side as well but I'm guessing we had 25% of the people at the meet and greet who don't have any interest in the forum. On this side we are all forum people so it makes sense for us to use it and it's natural but others don't and I would hate to alienate them. Let's give it sometime and see if a problem emerges, please keep me posted if you are feeling information is getting too diversed.

nuclearlemon

so if folks aren't forum people, how do they know about the meetup thing? i won't ever sign up on a seperate thing that i have to have another login for if i can just respond to a thread.

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
If you are on Meetup you can search for other Meetups and find us that way. Another thing that happens is I tell a friend about the website, they don't like forums but signup for the Meetup instead. As an example both Forrest and Pete are getting their info through Meetup but don't visit the forum.

Morris Yarnell

I find that having information on two sites very confusing. Eliminate Meetup and just use the site.
For those that say they don't like forums...Meetup is a forum.

edit: On the other side, I can see why some would dismiss the RMO forum as it has become a message board for illegal activities by the clown that continues to post his selling of fake passports under the titles of legitimate posts to disguise his activities. Apparently there needs to be more monitoring of the site to eliminate this maneuvering.

Last edited: