What's new

securing a Hi-lift

Morris Yarnell

I have mounted the Hi-lift to the ARB bumper and it seems to ride well and now I really don't see it when driving. Can't see leaving on the vehicle as there is really no way to anti-theft it.
Any good suggestions for locking it up? Mostly for travel and overnight parking in town.

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
I've been coming to terms with the same thing Morris. You can drill through the knob and bolt and run a lock through it but I am unsure how strong that would be.
I am wondering if the reliability issues for the locking knob are due to people leaving them on 24/7. Or over tightening them and causing the internals to fail. I am probably going to gamble on the locking handle and have a way to extract it if it does fail.

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
I thought about that, as the intention is to secure it, that turns the hi lift into a nice way for a would be thief to destroy your front end. Or the could just cut the cable with bolt cutters.

Morris Yarnell

I do believe that most theft is opportunity driven and few carry bolt cutters or heavy wrenches around to twist off something. That is unless they have seen your rig often and are just waiting for the 'right time'. I have seen rigs around town that have no anti-theft protection whatever as the hi-lift is located in a position that would make it less than instantly available to a would be thief...but then it also makes it less than desirable for the owner to use it themselves.
Running a lock through the bolt and handle might work but would always have to line up to be effective.
Most locate them behind spare tires (many jeeps) and some on the hood as well. Those with bull bars or ARB type bumpers mount them on the bumper, some on the roof rack on one side or the other with their shovels and ax.
I have thought about a cable too. Still has to have a lock of some type or a lock similar to the kind used to pass through the shell carrying (magazine) part of a rifle, but those don't look to sturdy for this type of application.
Oh yeah, don't lose the key!!!

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
One thing thieves always have? Tools of their trade. We are only talking about a hi lift. I was warned by the hi country guys about people being stupid and vandalizing rigs with the hi lift in the cable scenario. With headlights for the LR3 running in the hundreds of dollars I would rather not take the chance.

Morris Yarnell

I am working on a solution. Let you know on Tuesday...show and tell for opinions. Either it works or it doesn't, always room for an experiment.

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
Look forward to it Morris. I may not be at the M&G. I have PT that morning and have to work late to make up for the late start. Makes for too long a weekday.

nuclearlemon

why not move it to the back where you might find an easier place to secure it. the more in the elements the jack is, the less reliable it is anyways. mag chloride will have you rebuilding it a couple times a year if it's up front

Morris Yarnell

Thanks, that is a good idea but now that I have mounted it to the bar of the ARB bumper with those nifty mounts, it kind of has a place and I do not intend to leave it there all the time. I would have to get additional mounting hardware to put it on the roof rack and there is enough weight up there with all the other stuff.
It is really only for off roading trips where the surface is not as kind as it is in the city for tire changing.