What's new

shovel and ax

Clymber

so im thinking of getting a shovel and ax to throw in my truck and waswondering how often have you actually used the ones you have. Used them because you had to not just chop wood for a fire or dig a fire pit so you can dutch over your meal

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member

Brandon

I have a small D-handle shovel and a 12"ish hatchet/ax, both regular tools from Lowes. I have not used the shovel yet but I did have to cut a decent sized tree that had fallen and got wedged across a trail.

nuclearlemon

cheap shovels unfortunately are just that. they don't handle the exposure well because they were made to sit in a shed until they're used. i had a 2' on the fender of my 40 for years until i actually needed it, then the handle broke. learned my lesson and shelled out money for a shovel that will last. king of spades shovel, all steel, made right here in america. i just used it to dig up a stump in my front yard by digging down under the stump, jamming the shovel down there and jumping my fat butt up and down on the handle until the stump came out. that's my kind of shovel :)
http://www.kingofspadesonline.com/SHOVELS/c2526/index.html

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say those are some nice shovels. I went with a fiberglass handle just so I didn't worry about the elements but I can't jump on mine.

egpowers

I carry a regular shovel and also a Maxx Axe and shovel setup. So far have worked well for years, and they are outside all the time.

overlandjeep

Most summer national forest regulations require the following:

Persons with campfires are required to have an axe, shovel, and one to five gallons of water in their possession (except in specified developed recreation sites listed in the Forest Order).