What's new

Sleeping Pad vs Air Mattress

Wyatt

I have been kicking around the idea of a double sleeping bag system something like the Nemo Tango DUO 30 & SLIPCOVER SYSTEM and I guess I really need to just get into t a store and look at one in person.

Is it just me or does that look like a bunch or carrots wrapped in tin foil.

Keldeo

Most common are the raised type, even though air mattresses come in different heights or thickness.These are definitely normally similar height on the normal bed. The raised type is an inflatable mattress adjoined to the own platform, which was created to keep users beyond the floor and providea much more traditional experience, in addition to makes a lot easierhaving access to getting out and in. The slight disadvantage is a consequence of its size, it woulduse upmore roomas compared to the alternatives when packed away for storage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swank1975

Myself being a bigger guy have never had good luck with pads or air mattresses. I did however raft the Grand Canyon and for 20 nights I slept on a PACO pad on top of a wal mart cot which is a self inflating pad made of raft material. This thing was stout and comfortable for many night's sleep.

http://www.nrs.com/product/2706/super-paco-sleeping-pad These things are super tough. You could just roll it up and strap it to a roof rack.

Warnertew

Definitely an air mattress is going to let the cold air get to you. We use double-height air mattresses due to bad backs and my hubbys bad knee, and we often wake up a little stiff due to the cold air. Weve learned to line our sleeping bags with fleece, and even layer a fleece blanket between the sleeping bag and the air mattress to add extra insulation.

If you want to keep the tent floor extra toasty for your dogs, try getting a piece of Tyvek house-wrap to place underneath, helps keep the chill out.

sylvie

ExplorerTom

A little update from my experience: I went with cots. They get you up off the ground completely. I can still throw a sleeping pad on it when it’s cold. And I have wool blankets from ATC for when it’s really cold.

The cots are also nice in that it allows for someplace to sit. And gear can be stored under the cot so the floor space isn’t as used up as it would be with just sleeping pads or mattresses.

I’ve also resorted to filling a Nalgene bottle with boiling water, wrapping it in a towel and putting that inside the sleeping bag. Surprisingly, it stays warm all night.

Reactions: Wes

BrittanyAustin

I always camp in the summer, so I prefer the lightweight sleeping pad. If you travel more often in spring or autumn backpacking or camping, then the mattress is more suitable. For a sleeping pad, the R-value is important, which determines whether it is suitable for a cold environment.

Wes

I purchased :

The REI branded : Trekker Self-inflating pad. 1.75 : @ $75
NOTE** Get the Long & Wide : the regular is too small, even for my wife at 5' 2''

I weight : 215lbs @ 6ft.
When I lay down on the pad (fully inflated) not one part of my body touches the ground. It is almost unbelievable.

I am going to put it in my hammock and see how it does for insulation as well. I heard this works well.

I am very pleased with the pad and it rolls up tight and small!

Attachments

Wes

A little update from my experience: I went with cots. They get you up off the ground completely. I can still throw a sleeping pad on it when it’s cold. And I have wool blankets from ATC for when it’s really cold.

The cots are also nice in that it allows for someplace to sit. And gear can be stored under the cot so the floor space isn’t as used up as it would be with just sleeping pads or mattresses.

I’ve also resorted to filling a Nalgene bottle with boiling water, wrapping it in a towel and putting that inside the sleeping bag. Surprisingly, it stays warm all night.
I have heard of people using bottles like this in hammocks too.
I am giving that a go next weekend.