What's new

Tire Repair Kit

Overland1

Administrator
Staff member
I spent a lot of time looking for a compact tire repair kit, for some reason everyone likes to set them up in bulky cases.

Last year Viking Offorad started offering a compact kit (8" x 5.5" x 2") with all the high quality stuff you need, I haven't used mine yet but I don't see any problems.

If you're looking for a compact kit take a look at it.
http://www.vikingoffroad.com/utp-tire-repair-kit/

nuclearlemon

i like the idea of a soft case better than the molded arb case and a more complete kit than arb. you can add stuff. might want to put the tar strips in a ziplock in the case. in hot weather they can ooze. more room to do that in a soft case than the molded stuff. iirc, about 10-15 bucks less than arb too. if i hadn't already won an arb in a raffle, i'd buy the viking kit.

ExplorerTom

I bought a cheap one from an auto part store. I already carry pliers, dykes, and a utility knife- I don't need to buy a kit that comes with additional stuff.

DaVikes

I had the opportunity to use one of the $5 kits last weekend. I hadn't ever done it before, and I managed to completely bend the plug insertion tool into a Z shape on my first try at inserting a plug. Fortunately, I was sitting in the parking lot of a Carquest (in Fairplay), and the manager kindly exchanged it. The next try went better and the plug is holding well. (I'll get the tire professionally repaired this week.) I bought another cheap set, and now have two in the truck. The cheap reamer actually worked pretty well. The heavy duty insertion tool is definitley worthwhile. The Viking set is nice, but I'm cheap and I want it for about $20.

ExplorerTom

I know Ben listed the kit from Viking in the opening post, but what are some other good repair kits?

What should you look for in a kit? Tee handles instead of straight I think are key. Is there a difference in those rubber plugs? More plugs is better than just a couple.

Anything else?

Odomandr

I bought one out of the cheapo tool bin somewhere for less than 10 bucks it has the two t handle tools, the vulcanizing rubber goop strings, a valve stem or 2. I think that is it, I have used it once to plug a tire I found a screw in prior to Hagerman pass. It worked well enough for what I paid but not comprehensive, I happen to have some of that viking kit in the arb deflator and pliers in my bag. Not sure the lubrication is necessary and it is not a fix as good as plugging and patching from inside but it will get you out of a bind

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
I have the ARB kit which fits nicely in their recovery bag in the front slot. Only ever used it on our car tire. Worked well. As a tech have used the metal T handle plug tools and they have always worked very well. I like the compact Viking kit better and would probably buy that if I needed it.