What's new

White Rim Road 10/3 - 10/6

I've made reservations for a White Rim road trip for the first week of October. I was focusing on getting reservations for myself, but the reservations allow for 3 vehicles/ 10 people, so I have room for 2 vehicles/7 people total. I was going to share and hopefully be a little more safe by seeing if any members here would like to go. I've been trying to get to a get-together, but responsibilities and events with the ham group I'm in (eoss.org) conflict.
So, first the trip details: I had a hard time making reservation, so the trail is kind of "reverse". Start White Rim road from Mineral Road and exit Shafer trail. Meet at the ranger station to pick up permits Monday October 3 (I'm driving to Moab and camping in Arches Sunday night). As an alternative we could meet in Moab since I intend to top off that morning. Head out from the visitor center to Taylor campground. Camp overnight 10/3 at Taylor. Camp overnight Candlestick 10/4. Camp Overnight Gooseberry 10/5. Finish the trail and head home on 10/6.
Me and my rig: 2013 4runner Limited on 17 inch Cooper AT3's, daily driver. Pretty much stock, except I've added APRS and VHF/UHF radios. I'm an engineer, and do all the maintenance and wiring myself. I'll have my 23 year old nephew and my Brother-in-law (retired DHS agent) with me. I've got limited overnight trail experience, mostly just running around rough and remote roads in Nevada and Colorado. I carry recovery gear (straps, shackles,etc.) but have never pushed hard enough to need it.
Preferences: I'm more interested seeing the back country than crawling technical trails, so I've allowed plenty of time to setup camp and enjoy the scenery. I'd like whoever accompanies me to be Hams for trail comms. I've got extra HT's and magmounts if they don't have mobiles.
I can meet up individually if anyone wants to get together prior to the trip, I just have trouble making the RMO meetups, since EOSS meets on the same nights.

Let me know if you have any questions.

DaVikes

I am interested, but I can't commit yet. I won't know the kids school and sports schedules for a couple weeks. My interests are like yours. I have no desire to risk breaking anything on my truck. I just like being out there. I'm not an engineer, but I am a founding member of Overthinkers Anonymous, and I do most of my own maintenance.

Wyatt

I am thinking of joining depending on school if space allows. I have run this trail before, your 4runner will do just fine. I recommend airing down purely for comfort. I ran the trail from Shafer's switch back to the river so I believe the opposite way you are planning. I would bring my father and we both have a large amount of overnight camping that we can help you out. If needed of course.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Wyatt

Unfortunately I still cant give a solid yes or no answer to going, I'm at a 80% yes. I'm trying to get school grades in a Good enough place that they wont be effected but missing 4 days I should know by the end of next week or beginning of the one after.

Wyatt

Sadly I got my test schedule for school and I have a couple large immoveable tests during that time that the trip is going on and so I am not able to make it. I wish you the best of luck on your trip and hope you enjoy one of the most amazing places to visit.

Sorry to hear that but I understand. Right now I'm open to anyone else who would like to join. I will PM DaVikes with a plan in the next couple of weeks.

lwg

What days are you actually planning on running the white rim trail? Reason I ask is that I'm in Fruita and trying to contemplate how many days I'd need to take off to run this with you. I have a fairly built Land Rover Discovery that recently ran Lockhart Basin so this trip should be fairly doable for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wyatt

What days are you actually planning on running the white rim trail? Reason I ask is that I'm in Fruita and trying to contemplate how many days I'd need to take off to run this with you. I have a fairly built Land Rover Discovery that recently ran Lockhart Basin so this trip should be fairly doable for me.

If you can run lockhart you will easially be able to make the white rim without any issues.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I'm planning on checking in at the Ranger Station at noon on Monday 10/3 and travel down to Taylor canyon that afternoon. I'm flexible if you want to overnight only on certain days, but the reservations I have are Camp overnight 10/3 at Taylor. Camp overnight Candlestick 10/4. Camp Overnight Gooseberry 10/5. If you want to join one of those days or a combination, just let me know so I can list on the permit you when I check in on Monday.