Administrator
Staff member
Trail Leader
Craig Fisher

Trip Dates
6 pm Friday, July 12 – Sunday, July 14th

Trip Description
Depart – Friday, July 12th at 6 pm
We gather in Golden, CO of 1-70 exit 259 at the Kum and Go Gas Station across from T-Rex Park and Ride lot around 6 pm Friday. We will start with a brief “Drivers” meeting and discuss the basics of the adventure. Once everyone tops off their fuel we will try and get underway by 6:20 -6:30 PM and travel west on 1-70 to Dotsero, CO Exit 133 (approximately 2:00), just west of Gypsum. We exit here and go on the frontage road a short distance to pick up Hwy 301/Colorado River Road. Heading north with signs to Burns, CO, we travel 1.7 miles to Coffee Pot Road (FS 140/600) and turn west where we leave the pavement. There are several camping spots designated in the area on the .gpx file and will travel until we find one adequate for the group size and stop for the night. These camping areas are 30 to 60 minutes from the time we get onto Coffee Pot Road. I anticipate a 9-9:30 pm first-night camping stop due to the late start and distance required to get into the White River area from Denver.

Day 2 – Saturday, July 13
Those attending should anticipate arising and being ready to start on the trail around 9-9:30 am on Saturday. We will head northwest (Day 2 .gpx file) and after a few miles have a decision to either take the Grizzly Jeep Road (FS 632) to the southwest or continue travel on Coffee Pot Road to Heart Lake. We will decide that morning based on a consensus of the group and vehicle-types joining the trip. Guides show the trail as moderate with only a short area listed as difficult and that most stock SUV’s with AT tires will do fine on Grizzly Jeep Road so this would be my preferred path.

Either way, we will join back up to FS 601 and time permitting, explore the historic ghost town of Carbonate. Continuing on Blair Mountain Road (FS601) we will travel to the first of 3 possible camping sites which will be decided based on time on the trail that day and groups thoughts on time to stop. My preference is to make camp around 5 pm +/- to relax, socialize and enjoy the area on foot around the campsite. Note that camping Saturday will be at 10,500 to 11,000 ft. so pack warm clothing and jackets as this is turning out to be a cool summer in Colorado.

Day 3 – Sunday, July 14th
I planned a short(er) off-road trail for today so people could sleep in a little or break group once we get to New Castle/Burford Road exit from the forest roads and travel back to Denver or stay to explore the area. I think we should be prepared to leave camp by 10 am and continue on Blair Mountain Road (FS 601) to FS 649 to the Meadow Creek Lake area. There we can explore the lake area before heading on the exit highway back to New Castle and I-70. Those wanting to leave early can stay on the shorter route to via Blair Mountain (FS601) until it gets to New Castle/Buford and then head south on this surface road for 30 miles +/- to New Castle and I-70. Once on I-70 it will be about 160 miles back to the starting point in Golden, CO

Travel and Off-road Miles
Day 1 - there will be 130 highway miles from Golden with 15 +/- Forest Service road miles depending on where we decide to camp Friday evening.

Day 2 - I plan on traveling 25-30 miles between camping spots on day two if we take the Grizzly Jeep Road. Considering stops and sightseeing at Carbonate should be traveling approximately 6-7 hours in the vehicles.

Day 3 – There are approximately 20/25 miles of Forest Level roads planned for today from the campsite (varies based on which one we choose and if you want to take the short cut to New Castle Road. Once on the New Castle/Buford Road it is higher speed surface road and is about 30 miles to New Castle and I-70 (90 minutes) and then 160 miles back to Golden/Denver.

Trail Difficulty
Mainly moderate forest roads with a couple of areas requiring some higher ground clearance (9 inches) rated as Difficult so stock SUV with true 4 wheel drive and AT tires are a minimum recommended requirement

Vehicle Requirements.
High Clearance 4x4
Off-road capable tires
Full-size spare
Frame mounted tow points front and back

Required Recovery Equipment
20,000+lb Tow Strap
2x Shackles (soft or c-shackles OK)

Minimum Recommended Equipment
Fire Extinguisher
First Aid Kit
Extra Water
Vehicle Unique Tools
Warm Emergency Clothing

Ham Radio Comms
Primary 146.550
Secondary 146.580

Meeting Location/Time
Golden, CO of 1-70 exit 259 at the Kum and Go Gas Station across from T-Rex Park and Ride lot around 6 pm Friday.

Distance/Time to Trail Head
From Golden, CO to Dotsero (Exit 133) is approximately 125 miles and should take about 2 hours on 1-70.

dirtlimo

Is this still a go? I'm planning on joining in. Would like to leave earlier and maybe meet up with Shoestring in Dotsero. Silly a** question, mosquito factor? I was at Buffalo pass on Monday and it was so bad I did not camp and came back home. I did not apply the mosquito armour and that was some of the issue, but man it was Alaska Jr. up there :)

Is this still a go? I'm planning on joining in. Would like to leave earlier and maybe meet up with Shoestring in Dotsero. Silly a** question, mosquito factor? I was at Buffalo pass on Monday and it was so bad I did not camp and came back home. I did not apply the mosquito armour and that was some of the issue, but man it was Alaska Jr. up there :)
There are two of us meeting at Dotsero.

Most of the discussion appears to be here:

Wes

Wow check this spot out : coffee pot road ...
Bet it would be cold though