What's new

Winter Camping near Keystone, Silverthorne, Frisco area

Matto

Hey all, I am trying to get some input on a good spot to do some winter camping near silverthorne so I can beat the terrible traffic to go snow boarding. I've got plenty of good spots in the summer when forest roads are open, but I'm having a hard time doing this winter thing and I'm really not ok with spending $200 for a place to sleep. Any suggestions on where to camp? I have my RTT so no issues on needing cleared ground, just a spot that isn't right off the road.

Morris Yarnell

Not sure how long you have been camping in CO but it would be in your interests to get Charles Wells books on CO backroads and 4-wheel drive trails. Get them from Amazon.

Matto

Its easy enough in summer, I'm fairly familiar with the forest and public roads, but every time I go out in the winter I can never tell if the road will be open. I have the rig to get there, but giant gates pose the biggest obstacle.

Matto

Thanks Morris, I'll check these out. Last time I found an entrance to a forest road about 300m off the main road going to Breck, not the most ideal spot. Resources are always welcome in finding a good winter location.