Winter Projects

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Brad, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Brad

Brad Administrator

Every year I take time to plan out winter projects to help improve the reliability or upgrade my truck. In 2016-17 I replaced my transmission connector sleeve, transmission pan (filter is integrated with the pan) of course fresh fluid, hvac blower fan, BG hvac flush with a new pollen filter , new thermostat housing and upgraded my water pump with a BG cooling system flush.
    That was the first round. I then added a emergency hammer and later rebuilt my rear diff., followed by adding my front runner rack and ladder (thanks to Mike!)
    Summer 2017 I added the front runner drawer system, stainless table, rear LED cargo lighting and upgraded my auxiliary power setup with a complete rear fuse box, solar charge controller and a inverter.
    Winter 2017-18
    Replaced my front lower and rear upper control arms with upgraded Range Rover sport arms (will be doing the other 4 next summer, RRS has beefier arm bushings).
    Summer 2018
    Added rear facing roof rack lights.
    This winter I am replacing both bumpers, adding a winch, replacing my fog lights with new ones, replacing my front air suspension cross link valve, upgrading my auxiliary charging system, replacing our fridge freezer with a larger one, replacing timing chains and tensioners, replacing coolant reservoir and with any luck upgrading our roof top tent.

I am posting this not to brag but to let everyone know I have had a lot of help along the way with all this work. I highly recommend everyone who does this kind of travel to set a project plan and if you need help then post it up. You never know who may want to lend a helping hand or have some advice on how to tackle a idea.

2. ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom Well-Known Member

Going to be piling on the miles on the Expedition- driving to the east coast and back. Should be interesting since we will have both dogs with us (golden retriever and a 50 lb mutt). Good thing I have a good roof rack and gas is cheap.

The Expedition needs some maintenance. The OEM CV axles finally gave it up- one boot tore from being old and dry (the lift surely hasn't helped). But despite the fact I've been slinging the grease from the inside all over my wheel well for the passed couple months, I've been driving it. New axles should be here soon and have upgraded boots to prevent tearing.

It also needs new front shocks. I replaced the shocks about 60k miles ago, but with the lift and some trail abuse, I'm pretty certain the front right isn't doing much anymore. The new shocks are adjustable and have internal bump stops- which I'm sure if the old ones had an internal bump stop, they may not be bad.

And I need to continue with my checking upper/lower ball joints. These trucks are hard on ball joints. A company just started offering oversized ball joints for these trucks and at the first sign of wear, I'm replacing all of mine with these.

As far as actual projects, that are fun.........
    I need to install the LED motorcycle accent lights (I think it was Brad that turned me on to these) into the rear cargo area of the Expedition. I installed a couple in my Explorer and they are pretty awesome.

I need to mount the fire extinguisher and poop shovel in the Expedition.

A buddy of mine just built a CNC router/3D printer in his garage. The drawers in my Explorer are hands down my favorite thing about my Explorer. But they are expensive. My buddy's router cuts wood. Wood is cheap. I'm a design engineer with access to really good CAD software. See where I'm going with this.......

In every car I've owned, I've always toyed with the idea of adding extra sound deadening. I haven't ever really acted on this though. A product called Lizard Skin has caught my eye. This stuff is sprayed on instead of put on by hand like Dynamat or similar "traditional" products. To get the coverage I'd need, Lizard Skin is about the same price as the traditional stuff, but weighs about 70% less. And it doesn't trap water, which can lead to rust, like the traditional stuff. I've watched a bunch of videos about it, read all kinds of forum reviews and it all seems positive. Just need to strip the interior, scuff the paint, wipe it all down, mask the areas I don't want covered and do it. Easy, right?

Brad likes this.
  3. Morris Yarnell

Morris Yarnell Well-Known Member

After reading both of these posts about projects I have determined that all I really have to do is change my oil in preparation for a trip I will be taking soon. There may be gremlins at work in the Rover but they have so far been very quiet and thanks to the knowledge of friends I have probably gotten everything fixed or repaired that needs to be done.
    So on this day of thanks, I am grateful for my friends and their help to keep me safe and rolling on.

Brad likes this.
  4. Brad

Brad Administrator

Safe travels! If you need a hand with the interior work I’m happy to help if I’m not busy! Let me know.

5. Wyatt

Wyatt Active Member

I am planning on regearing my Jeep during my winter break, 4.56 gears are going in with help from my boss. And The jeep told me today that I am also gonna be changing the water pump gasket after it started dripping, likely due to the cold, its been around -9 to -15 overnight and highs in the high twenties during the day. So I will finally stop procrastinating on my aluminium radiator install and fix the gasket at the same time. It is leaking around the perimeter of the pump so it does appear to be the water pump which was replaced 25K ago. It only leaks while the jeep is warming up, once it hits around 175 it stops leaking.