What's new

Smittybilt 2790 Traction ramps

Brandon

I know I know.. with their reputation for making stuff only good enough for your standard Wrangler that wont see dirt, why did I waste my time. Well at half the price, yet similar design, they cannot be that bad can they? F*CK Yes they can be!

Purchased them on Amazon, picture seemed to show black in color, and they arrived to be a dark green. OK, whatever.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QAMV1K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
Went christmas tree hunting today and decided to get stuck to test them out. It was powdery snow, hard packed smooth ice/dirt under the snow.

All attempts in using them were in pretty basic scenarios, just deep snow and lost traction/momentum. First try I locked the rear, threw one under one side. It worked but I heard a nice crack... yup, cracked in the middle of the board, halfway across. Next time I used them, that one split in two; at least its more compact now!

Stuck time #2... legitimately stuck. I slid off into the shallow ditch against a snow mound and it took a bit of digging. I had those two ramps, brought a snow shovel, and there were other people just down the road, so I wasn't too worried about dying out there. :)

When I was legit stuck, the second one cracked in two spots I think as well as broke almost all of the tabs off the bottom of the ramp. I am well aware that you are not supposed to spin your tires on the ramps... and I did not. The ramps were mostly placed level in front of the tire, and the snow was all powdered sugar... so it was the easiest test for the ramps IMO; didnt attempt using them to bridge or ramp anything or on any solid rocky surfaces... I cannot imagine how many pieces they'd be in!

Needless to say, they are being shipped back to Amazon when I get a chance to photograph them and box them back up. I'll have to pony up the extra dough for quality stuff that works. But buying through Amazon, I knew I'd at least get to give these a risk free try. Had I been worried about being able to return them if this happened, I would've went with maxtrax to begin with. Pictures pictures... I know. I should've taken some when stuck, but I didnt think about it. And I'll take pictures of the ramps before I send them off and update this post.

One thing I did learn for when I get quality ones is connecting string or a strap to them is a GREAT asset. The CB antenna came in handy as a poking stick to locate them buried in the snow, which took a lot longer than expected.

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear that Brandon. Maxtrax come with straps for recovering the ramps.

Brandon

Sorry to hear that Brandon. Maxtrax come with straps for recovering the ramps.
No biggie, I mean they did help in the end... I was just expecting a more than one use item and figured I should share my experience so nobody else makes the same decision. :)

ExplorerTom

I've seen Maxtrax bend significantly and not break. I've used them as ramps several times and don't even consider the possibility of them breaking- maybe in extreme cold they might break.

overlandjeep

4 wheel parts buys innovative products here in the states and sends them to their people in SHenzen to make knockoffs under the smittybilt name, problem is many times the new product is made with cheap plastic or inferior parts.

Brandon

I've seen Maxtrax bend significantly and not break. I've used them as ramps several times and don't even consider the possibility of them breaking- maybe in extreme cold they might break.
Yeah, I have seen them used plenty, and used yours as a ramp at red cone.... theres zero chance these would've done that. MAYBE doubled up..

4 wheel parts buys innovative products here in the states and sends them to their people in SHenzen to make knockoffs under the smittybilt name, problem is many times the new product is made with cheap plastic or inferior parts.
Obviously some cheap plastic used in this case.

Brandon

I've actually got a bunch of 2x3 stuff that's usually thrown away with shipping stuff that have a groove down the middle that'd work great for a strap ... Maybe I'll have to cut a few pair just for another option in a pinch.

Brandon

Drumroll please..... pictures as promised.
Apparently if I would've just read the box, I would've gotten my answer without breaking them. "Get the original"

Cracks all over, and missing lugs

Apparently it tore against something on the ground when it decided to slide out from under the tire.

Awwwww Snap!

Cracks and missing lugs

nuclearlemon

Thank you for a good honest review

Fwiw. Fat basrard weighs over 3.5 ton and did not break bens maxxtraxx, so they are the way to go

Brandon

Thank you for a good honest review

Fwiw. Fat basrard weighs over 3.5 ton and did not break bens maxxtraxx, so they are the way to go
Yeah, I am just glad I didnt attempt to bridge something with them... obviously they would've broken and probably caused damage to the truck as well. Live and learn! But at least I'll get the maxtrax in black like I wanted originally.

ExplorerTom

wow!

Mine has some lugs that you can tell have been smashed against rocks or tires spun on them, but they aren't completely missing like yours.

Hudson

Does anyone have experience with Treds? I am now concerned if they are also lower quality given they are not maxtrax

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
I have heard mixed reviews of the treds. I have only heard good reviews of the maxtraxx hence why I spent the money on a pair and plan on buying another pair.

ExplorerTom

Does anyone have experience with Treds? I am now concerned if they are also lower quality given they are not maxtrax
I have used them in snow (Brandon- you were there). To be honest, we never actually had any luck with them. With the Lexus 80-series buried in snow, we couldn't position them to make them effective and we used a kinetic strap instead. Perhaps if we dug around the tires better we could have been more successful.

I have not used my Maxtrax in snow.

Odomandr

I used my maxtrax to help a random Honda that got buried by the plows last winter on the street. Tow driver was a bit perturbed to pull up and see me walking away with them in tote.

Sent from my SM-N910T

DaVikes

I saw the new trends on kickstarter. I sent them this question via Facebook "Hello, can you elaborate a bit on how much stronger the pros are than the 1100's? Is it only the material that will make them stronger, or does the new shape enhance strength as well? Thanks"
They replied " It's definitely a combination of the two. The new composite layer design targets strength in the parts durability and the new material selection for the main body works with he new body shape to maximize strength over the entire part."

For what it's worth.